• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Converting a 2bbl 2.8 intake

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Seeing that the offy 4 bbl 2.8 V6 intake is through the roof. Is there a method of converting a 2bbl stock intake to a 4 bbl.? Remember seeing that someone had machined one to convert, I also have the option of altering the bolt pattern on a 2.6 capri carb plate to fit a 2100 2bbl.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Ford or Holley 2 barrel adapted would be easier. They bolt right on the Mustang II intake. Mike Armstrong converted the Ranger intake to Holley . Morana does convert the Ranger manifold to 4 barrel for $600. If your motor takes the 2.6 intake, you must have Euro heads with 2 exhaust ports and the Ranger won't work. There is an adapter to go from Weber to Ford/Holley pattern 2 barrel.

Holley 2 Barrel | SAOCA Forum (sunbeamalpine.org)

Adapter - Holley 500 to Weber Manifold Adapter Kit (lceperformance.com)

Last edited:

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Have the Ranger heads and intake. Looks like a doable adapter, the weber fits the 2.6 euro heads? I do have Euro heads and a FI manifold but missing a lot of the components to that so I am going this route. Thanks for the info!pic is of the 2.6 Capri
.14C415BF-6D43-4E59-AE64-86D439D32F2D.jpeg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Take a Top piece from an OFY 4 BBL and mate to the 2.8 2bbl intake for a nice setup. Ofy 4BBL intake and stock    20200410_120616.jpg Ofy 4BBL Intake and stock    20200410_120639.jpg

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm a long way from being an engine expert but, after looking at the options for the last couple years, I don't understand the logic of pushing forward with a 4BBL manifold and carb. A 2.8L engine will only pump around 272 cfm of air at 5500 rpm so big carburetors are just a waste and may actually impede performance. The Offy intake is very popular with the V6 conversions here but it really doesn't offer that much advantage....it's a dual port intake (as opposed to a dual plane) and was designed primarily to boost gas mileage as opposed to performance...it's the only 4 BBL solution available so everybody wants to use it. It's also a bolt-on solution for those not wanting to do any machine work.

The approach we are taking is to do some port and polishing work on the stock 2BBL intake to improve flow and use a Holley Sniper 2BBL EFI....for those that don't want to go with an EFI, Holley offers a number of 2 BBL performance carbs that would work nicely as well.

Cost wise, it may well be about the same $$ to buy the Offy as opposed to having an engine guy do the machine work on a stock intake but I think (my engine builder actually does all the thinking!) we'll end up with a better running engine across the entire power band. We'll be dynoing it soon and will report back.

Last edited:

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Bill and all-I agree that it is over carbureted and will perform better with the 2bbl. Like to weigh the options of this since it’s the first time doing this. I do have a machinist to do this but the budget is getting out of hand for this (welcome to the club). Collected a lot of V6 stuff from George Barton since he was barn cleaning. Will move it on when done.