• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Convertible Top Pivot Arms: Interference Fit

NedD

Gold Level Sponsor
Progressing on to the convertible top in the resurrection of my Series I Tiger. As shown in the two attached photos I've circled where the pivot arm brackets rub against their housing as you bring the top up and down. The PO says he always had trouble getting the top all the way down because of this interference fit.

Before I start trying to re-align these brackets or grind off material, I have to ask: is this normal? I assume the answer is no and the arms should rotate freely without such interference.

Attachments

• PXL_20230906_030446169.jpg
    PXL_20230906_030446169.jpg
    827.9 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20230906_030717625.jpg
    PXL_20230906_030717625.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 44

alpine_64

Donation Time
Firstly.. "Mark I" Tiger

Secondly the pivot arms are often bent from people pushing on them and forcing them when folding the top down and trying to get it into the recess.

Do not grind anything, you need to bend and tweak the pivot arm. And once you have clearance. .. you need to bend and adjust it so the vertical part of the hood frame at the trailing edge of the windows ha sa parallel geometry to the trailing edge of the window.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Let me explain how the pivoting assembly is supposed to work. See the leaf spring pressing against the pivot arm. That spring is supposed to push the pivot arm outward, into the slot in the chrome piece as the top is raised. Then as the top is lowered the "interference" piece you circled is supposed to guide the pivot arm back inward to clear the top of the body. Note that there are THREE (3) pivoting points. First the main pivot that rotates about 90 degrees as the vertical frame for the top goes up and down. Next is the pivot that allows the arm to rotate in and out about 10 degrees to enter and exit the slot in the chrome piece. The third pivot is the bolt that attaches the pivot arm to the vertical frame piece. It looks to me that the nut holding that pivot bolt to the vertical frame is held tight against it, preventing any pivot action there. That nut is supposed to be a nylock nut to hold it tight while still allowing it to pivot.
In many cases the pivot arm has been distorted, as noted by Michael, by the owner forcing the vertical frame upward even as the pivots are binding. To check that, get the vertical frame upright and the top frame anchored to the windshield. Observe if the edge of the vertical frame matches the back edge of the window. Most likely you will see that the pivot arm is rotated not fully UP, leaving a gap between the window and the vertical frame toward the lower part of the window. At that point you can see what "reshaping" of the pivot arm is required. Very difficult to reshape. This is the biggest weak point of the top design. May need to find a used one on better shape.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
First off you might take it apart and clean it. Rusty areas tend to bind the free movement.

Another small item that is often overlooked is the bolt holding it all together where every thing pivots. It is rusty. You may not want to but it too needs to be removed and cleaned.

I had some of these "odd" little bolts made for replacements, if interested send me a PM

Your PIC is cropped to zero in on the rusty bolt. The next PIC depicts what the assembly looks like "cleaned" and disassembled. There are two rusty bolts and two on my stainless steel ones for replacements.

Attachments

• Odd Little Bolt   PXL_20230906_030446169.jpg
    Odd Little Bolt PXL_20230906_030446169.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Soft top bolt PXL_20230124_224858201.PORTRAIT.jpg
    Soft top bolt PXL_20230124_224858201.PORTRAIT.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

NedD

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Michael, Tom and Dan. Once again the depth of knowledge on this forum is impressive. You've given me a fast education on how this mechanism SHOULD work although I'm sure to have follow-up questions as I get deeper into this task. Initial examination of the alignment to the window looks good. Hopefully the interference might be occurring just because it's rusty and tightened incorrectly, not allowing it the motion it's designed for.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
First step , just loosen that nut that holds the vertical frame to the pivot arm and apply some rust breaker and you'll see things start to get better. If the alignment to the window is good, you may be in good shape.

NedD

Gold Level Sponsor
After complete disassembly, a good cleaning and a little correction of a slightly bent arm the pivot assemblies are back in working order. Thanks again for the guidance!

Attachments

• PXL_20230914_025802667.jpg
    PXL_20230914_025802667.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It is amazing how a good cleaning can do.

One sugestion is to add a bit of lubricant to all working parts and check the "drain" hose for serviceability while you are into that area.