• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

conversion advise

agent86

Donation Time
I have a 65 ST Alpine that has an auto transmission I would like to keep..
What would be the easiest V8 to install without a lot of drive train,rear end and steering manipulation. Or even a v6.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Agent,

If you want an automatic V6 Alpine, the Ranger A4LD will work well for you, but if you´d like to go with a five speed, that is easy. DanR has made a transmission support crossmember that will bolt right into your Automatic Alpine body.

To do a V8 conversion will take a lot more effort, time and especially money, to do it correctly. The V6 is way easierand you can make it hot enough that it would easily outperform a stock Tiger/Alger.

Jose

agent86

Donation Time
conversion

What year of Ford Ranger V6 will match up to my current BW35 auto transmission? or do I need the Ranger auto transmission as well

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Agent86,

I am doing the V6 Jose Conversion to my '65 SIV GT BW35 Alpine.

It was purchased by a prior owner as a parts car. But only two parts were removed, a caliper and a gas tank. Apparently the BW35 Tranny was bad because one of the PO's had removed it and was in the process of going to the Stock 4 sp. I have it.

I have several other Alpines and became interested in the V6 conversion after seeing several at some of our meets.

To me Jose has made a very simple and fairly easy conversion available for our Alpines. His kit is for the T5 transmissions going into a standard transmission Alpine. His transmission Mount Bracket will not fit or bolt up to the BW35 bolt pattern in our cars. Everything else works!

I made a bracket on the similar order of Jose's that mates the T5 to my BW35 bolt pattern.

There are a lot of questions to be answered before I'd attempt to use any engine other than the '74-78 Mustang II 2.8 V6, Bob Cat, Capri or the '83-85 Ranger (engine).

As an after thought I bought a '79 Mercury Capri with the 2.8 V6 the engine and timing cover out of it is also an option. However the bell housing will not bolt to the T5. I found another '79 Mercury Capri that runs with the 2.8 V6 that has an automatic. I'm not sure what the fellow wants for it yet. Perhaps that would or could be an option for you.

I'm sure some of the guys that have had experiecne with these conversions will chime in.

Last edited:

agent86

Donation Time
conversion

Are there any changes that have to be done to the drive shaft , rear end , axle or steering or does the Ranger auto transmission fit to the existing drive train

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are there any changes that have to be done to the drive shaft , rear end , axle or steering or does the Ranger auto transmission fit to the existing drive train

Agent 86, Jose recommends the 90 thunderbird drive shaft front yoke.

The rear end assemble of the SV is a stronger unit than the earlier ones, Hardn keys are recommended for the SV axle also (keys cost about $10-20).

The steering does not need any thing done except the "top link" the link that runs over and behind the 4 cyl engine. Jose's kit provides this modification.

I can't answer the question on the Ranger auto transmission (drive shaft) adaptability to the Alpine rear end. Perhaps some of the other SAOCA members will answer that for you?

Seems as if there is a member that has addressed this question before.

Nothing wrong with your questions. You can do a search on the Forum and find all sorts of things dealing with these conversions.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Agent,

The easiest thing to do for a driveshaft, is to have a custom one made. Finding a 1983-1986 Thunderbird, with the V6 and automatic, will be almost impossible to do. If you are going to keep the stock rear end (suggested), you´ll need the rear part of the Alpine shaft to make it fit the rear end yoke.

Jose

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Unless you are building a performance engine the Alpine drive shaft w/ the correct Ford front yoke will work very well. The shaft will need to be shortened,balanced w/ new u-joints. About $175.00 at a good drive line shop.
Mine has held up well for 3 years .

agent86

Donation Time
conversion

Thanks y'all for the info and suggestions. I think I should digest it all before I take any action. I'm in middle TN. therefore a lot depends on availability of parts and a garage that I can work with. Most of it I can do in my own garage except any big custom prefab work.I probably need to decide which avenue to take and then make a material list. I'll get back to the forum ASAP