• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Coming up-Darkside Technical Section?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
We had a small board meeting over the weekend and it looks like we're going to do a section where new and experienced Darksiders can go to one place and find all the helpful hints to assist their descent..... Rather than search the section. Which I've done..... And its slow....

Don't have the format yet but be thinking of what you learned, how you did things, when you needed help, where you sourced stuff, what parts you needed, what parts you needed outside of "The Kit", what you did differently from "The Norm", (if there is a norm on the Darkside) etc. This won't replace the Modified section but instead it looks like it will go on the Technical side. I'm guessing it will be predomanently V6 but I'm thinking we should have a section for variations on the Modified.

Going to be thinking of how to organize it...

For the time being, questions, comments, rants, threats=PM me.

dmich2

Donation Time
What a great idea. "descent"???!!! :mad: Just kidding. To each his own they say. I can certainly attest to how much I love looking at a nice, stock Alpine. The love and dedication that their owners put into each of these is great to admire. Then, there's some of us that want the look but a little more get up and go.

As long as we're saving the marque, the car, its history and continue to build a family of Sunbeamers I'll be there.

A section like you propose will be another wonderful tool for this forum and it's members.

Dennis

socorob

Donation Time
Maybe have a modified section and under that have a drivetrain section, steering suspension and brakes, and body and interior. Take a look at British v8 and maybe improve on it some.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
This is terrific news. Thanks for doing this. I think I have mentioned this here before, but about 6 years ago one of the members collected all of the V6 posts from the forum and created a website with them organized like the WSM (engine, drivetrain, cooling, etc.). I have forgotten his name and don't think he is active any more. Also on this website was the complete forum 'blog' by Jim Ellis when he built his first V6. (This was probably the longest sustained thread in the history of this club and is 171 pages long when printed.) The site was a treasure trove of knowledge that would have been lost when the previous generation forum crashed without a backup. While that archive site is also gone without a trace, I had printed every page from the website and have a notebook with the complete archive. It is about an inch thick. I also scanned all of the pages and have them as pdf files. I would be more than happy to put it on a CD and send it to you or load them to a file-sharing site for your website.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think it should be reserved for the Ford V6 cars. To open it any further blurs the line between it and the Modified Section.

What we really need is a good search function, but it seems that will have to wait for another program.

Bill

socorob

Donation Time
Well, have a section for the 2.8 cars, as its the most common, but also have the others section. Sooner or later a newer more powerful engine has to come along that will also be easy to install, and as performance parts for the cologne are getting scarce. But until that is found, have a section for people to see all the options out there.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the response. Credit should go to our President Todd Nordby and Registry guy Ken Ellis. From what I see in my e-mail box the idea came from one of them. One of you guys hold your hand up....

Since I'm not a computer and program guy (ones and zeros hell! :eek: It's witchcraft and wizardry) I'll have to get help from someone to set up something on this site then rely on members to supply the tips. I drive a V6 but I bought it that way. Yes, I've made mods and improved it some, but on my (stalled) project car I'm going to need some help and hope this will be a benefit to SAOCA.

Also, it's cheaper for the club than setting up a 24 hour toll free hot line number to Jose's house. Knowing what hours I like to fool around with my car, I'm sure Jose would not appreciate getting "Where does this go" questions at 04.00 hrs....

Anyway, til further notice, start collecting notes. :cool:

Thanks.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
An excellent idea; just a section on FAQ's would be a great help to those undertaking the change to a v6. I revisit changes on my car fairly often when I get asked questions about what I did, mostly because my memory sucks.
Having easy access to things like part #'s, order of installation,etc. can save alot of time, effort and MONEY.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

I would like questions at any hour, since I´m usually awake at 1:00 am to 2:00 am anyway. It would give me something to do. My wife probnably wouldn´t like it much, but I would welcome it.:D

I think this is a great idea, but I think it would be better if it were just for the V6 conversion, not because I´m selfish, but it would make it easier to find the info you may be looking for quickly, without having to sift through all the other conversions, which is what we have right now.

I guess I will need to finally put down all the info you guys have been asking for for so long. I will begin working on this right away. I would like to ask you guys to send me your questions so I can remember what you guys want to know. I need to be reminded, because I can´t remember squat anymore.

Jose

Thanks for the response. Credit should go to our President Todd Nordby and Registry guy Ken Ellis. From what I see in my e-mail box the idea came from one of them. One of you guys hold your hand up....

Since I'm not a computer and program guy (ones and zeros hell! :eek: It's witchcraft and wizardry) I'll have to get help from someone to set up something on this site then rely on members to supply the tips. I drive a V6 but I bought it that way. Yes, I've made mods and improved it some, but on my (stalled) project car I'm going to need some help and hope this will be a benefit to SAOCA.

Also, it's cheaper for the club than setting up a 24 hour toll free hot line number to Jose's house. Knowing what hours I like to fool around with my car, I'm sure Jose would not appreciate getting "Where does this go" questions at 04.00 hrs....

Anyway, til further notice, start collecting notes. :cool:

Thanks.

pcmenten

Donation Time
What makes the Cologne V6 swap possible is that there are some very, very specific parts that work to make it happen. A canonical list of each part is what is needed. Examples; 86 Ranger oil pan and pickup, 2.8 block, 2.8 heads, 74-78 Mustang II V6 bellhousing, Mustang II timing cover, Fox Mustang V6 T5 transmission, etc.

Then there are the modifications; water outlet on radiator, welded thermostat housing, modification to the input shaft and bearing retainer of the Mustang T5 transmission.

Then the not-absolutely-necessary-but-very-useful parts such as the trick fan assembly, certain master cylinder, Duraspark ignition parts, etc.

And, finally, performance tweaks - cam, carb and intake, EFI setup, stroker crank, 2.9 valves, aftermarket shifter, porting?.

All of this is specific to the Ford Cologne V6 swap.

Sources for these parts is also useful. It's amazing how much is still available new on Rock Auto. I bought new rocker assemblies for a reasonable price on eBay.

Also, things to watch out for when rebuilding your V6, such as worn pushrods and rockers.

bluoval

Donation Time
we do need a v6 tech section.......

A V6 tech section is a great idea!!!! We Need to compile a list of part numbers and sources of parts necessary for the v6 conversion..I have been guilty of not keeping proper records of the parts ,parts number,year make and model of the Origional part and the source of the parts used on my v6 conversion. I spent too many frustrated hours on the phone and going from parts stores, dealerships, and recycle yards looking for parts .Not to mention purchasing the wrong part,having to return it and start looking all over again.Or just leaving it on a shelf to gather dust and increasing the cost of the V6 conversion... we must Be careful though because there are Quite a few optional combinations of componets that can be used in the V6 conversion process.. This creates some confusion also.. Earl blu bluoval

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
I may be able to offer some help with certain Ford part numbers and years of production. Before retirement I spent 20+ years in a Ford dealers parts dept. and still work one day a week in the wherehouse to get out of my wife's way at home. In the five years since I looked up parts much has changed in the computer programs but I normaly can get one of the guys to look stuff up for me if Im stumped.
If theres no copyright concerns I can get line drawings but Ive no idea how to post these to the fourm ( read dummy ).
If someone putting together this proposed Tech. Section needs this kind of help send me a PM.
.......Chuck......
Got my body shell up on the rotissery on Monday.:D.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Congratulations Chuck!!! It is great to hear you´ve begun your restoration and conversion project. I knew that our get together last March would motivate a lot of folks to get started. Please keep us up to date with your project. When you get to installing the V6, please don´t forget to get in touch with me for help with it. OK?

Jose

I may be able to offer some help with certain Ford part numbers and years of production. Before retirement I spent 20+ years in a Ford dealers parts dept. and still work one day a week in the wherehouse to get out of my wife's way at home. In the five years since I looked up parts much has changed in the computer programs but I normaly can get one of the guys to look stuff up for me if Im stumped.
If theres no copyright concerns I can get line drawings but Ive no idea how to post these to the fourm ( read dummy ).
If someone putting together this proposed Tech. Section needs this kind of help send me a PM.
.......Chuck......
Got my body shell up on the rotissery on Monday.:D.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Guys, the response is amazing. As soon as I get an understanding on how to do it, and a process to get your contributions posted I'll let you all know here. Thank you.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
What makes the Cologne V6 swap possible is that there are some very, very specific parts that work to make it happen. A canonical list of each part is what is needed. Examples; 86 Ranger oil pan and pickup, 2.8 block, 2.8 heads, 74-78 Mustang II V6 bellhousing, Mustang II timing cover, Fox Mustang V6 T5 transmission, etc.

Then there are the modifications; water outlet on radiator, welded thermostat housing, modification to the input shaft and bearing retainer of the Mustang T5 transmission.

Then the not-absolutely-necessary-but-very-useful parts such as the trick fan assembly, certain master cylinder, Duraspark ignition parts, etc.

And, finally, performance tweaks - cam, carb and intake, EFI setup, stroker crank, 2.9 valves, aftermarket shifter, porting?.

All of this is specific to the Ford Cologne V6 swap.

Sources for these parts is also useful. It's amazing how much is still available new on Rock Auto. I bought new rocker assemblies for a reasonable price on eBay.

Also, things to watch out for when rebuilding your V6, such as worn pushrods and rockers.

Hi Nick.

During a search I ran across this older thread. This post in particular reminded me that as a newbie to Conversion there's allot I don't know. Getting answers from the good folks on this forum is never a problem but has there been any progress on the Darkside Technical Section? Thanks

Mike

SoCalpine

Donation Time
I think the first step would be to figure out the headings, for example the timing cover. The get pictures of one, the part number, bolt sizes and such and make that a page. Probably do the same for the bell housing, frame modification, steering arm etc. It wouldn't be hard to put together using ComicLife like I did for the radiator.

The only downside to the manual would be that it would take away from the fun of the forum.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think the first step would be to figure out the headings, for example the timing cover. The get pictures of one, the part number, bolt sizes and such and make that a page. Probably do the same for the bell housing, frame modification, steering arm etc. It wouldn't be hard to put together using ComicLife like I did for the radiator.

The only downside to the manual would be that it would take away from the fun of the forum.

Hi John.

"The only downside to the manual would be that it would take away from the fun of the forum." True, makes the forum a little less personal. But I also like that it would probably cut down on duplicate questions and I like that I could just go to one source to find a quick answer.

I'm keeping notes as I go along. From first getting the old and dirty roller Titled in my name to getting that shiny road ready conversion Registered I hope to be able to help the next newbie that comes along.

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Technical Section proposal

I think this is a great idea. A lot of us have had to solve problems during the installation of our V6 engines and T5 transmissions and may or may not have solved it the same way. I have seen a lot of " why didn't I think of that " methods posted on the forum that would have made life a lot easier if a quick reference Technical Section was available. Collectively we can make future V6 conversions go a lot faster and more smoothly for the new guys to the dark side. I know I did a number of things the "hard way" building my first one. My second one is going a lot easier since I learned on the first one.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well then what should we start with?

I think we should start with talking to Nick to see if anything has been done so far or if something is already in the works. Then, maybe break it down by topic and just have members informally add to each topic before it gets organized a little better and posted in the Technical section.