• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cold starting

scotdunc

Donation Time
Not sure if this is the appropriate section to post this in .... but here goes. I had been suffering realy hard cold starting on my SV. I had the carbs off twice to inspect/adjust etc .... properly sealed the manifold to head (so no air leaks). All seemed fine ... BUT, it was still a real pig to cold start. It would crank and crank with no sign of it firing. So checked fuel and electrics ... all OK there it seemed.... but still damned hard to start, was resorting to spraying a little carb cleaner into the throats to get her going.
Then the great "Eureka" moment ..... check the dashpot oil levels. Well of course there was only a tiny level of oil, so duly filled to correct level with SAE 20 and 'bingo'. Second churn of the starter and up she starts.

The moral of this long winded tail is ...... "Check the damn simple/obvious things' before you tear your hair out looking for more major proplems.

Toot toot all

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I believe the saying is KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid. Some times we all tend to over think a problem, glad you got it fixed.
Jeff