• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Coil wiring ?

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Today I finally got electric power back on my SV, Wahoo, most essential items work but did not try everything.

My question for the day is on the ign coil wiring, the wiring diagram shows one wire to the input + side of the coil and one out to the dist - side of coil. My car came to me with a second wire in a sleeve to the + side of the coil and I see this same wire on many photos that many have posted.

Does this wire go back to the ign switch as start power bypassing the resistor?

Thanks
Paul :confused:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
That wire in a sleeve goes to an extra terminal on the starter solenoid. The main + lead to the coil should be a short wire from the ballast resistor. The main ignition lead should go to the ballast resistor. The point of all this is that when running, the ballast resistor reduces the voltage on the coil to about 10V, and the coil is designed to put out the right voltage for spark with 10 V or so applied. But when starting, especially in cold weather, the battery voltage drops to about 10 V while the starter is cranking and the extra contact on the solenoid connects "full" battery voltage (all 10 V) directly to the coil, bypassing the ballast resistor - but only while the solenoid is engaged and the starter is cranking.

Tom

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Tom, thanks for the information, I had thought it was for that purpose but not sure where it attached to the circuit. The starter relay makes sense.

Thanks very much
Paul

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
It is the white green wire on the solenoid in the picture (# 1)

Mike

Attachments

• 20150220-001 starter solenoid wiring annotated.jpg
    20150220-001 starter solenoid wiring annotated.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 30