• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch, trans, prop shaft and rear

Jim in PA

Donation Time
The project for this winter for my SV is new clutch cover, friction disc, release bearing w/ clips, pilot bushing and recondition the flywheel. U joints, rebuild trans...seals, synchros, bearings, gaskets and mounts. Rebuild rear diff, axle bearings w/ seals.

What am I forgetting? What guidance or advice can you offer? Tips?

I have already rebuilt the clutch MC and slave cyl.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Jim

mikephillips

Donation Time
Rear brakes might warrant a look if it's been awhile, new seals in the cylinders at least if the rear sits out of the car for some time since if they dry out they could start leaking. Replace the rear flex hose if you haven't already. Check the spring front bushings. Check for rust and cracks around the spring mounts.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Does your rear diff rebuild include new crown wheel bolts?

The project for this winter for my SV is new clutch cover, friction disc, release bearing w/ clips, pilot bushing and recondition the flywheel. U joints, rebuild trans...seals, synchros, bearings, gaskets and mounts. Rebuild rear diff, axle bearings w/ seals.

What am I forgetting? What guidance or advice can you offer? Tips?

I have already rebuilt the clutch MC and slave cyl.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Jim

Jim in PA

Donation Time
winter

Thanks Mike. The rear brake shoes, wheel cylinders, flex hose and shocks are new last winter. The leaf spring bushings look OK but I'll get a closer look in a week or so.
I was thinking of removing the rear axle housing for powder coat and sending the springs out for rearc...
There isn't any rust or rot around the spring bush mount areas that I can see.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Jim

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Winter

Does your rear diff rebuild include new crown wheel bolts?

YES!!! New bolts and locktited into place. I learned that here!
It's a replacement diff just bought on eBay the other day...3.90 ratio.
The old diff will be rebuilt too and I may buy a 3.70 ratio gear set for it.
Thanks for your feedback question.
Jim

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
If you are going to renew the clutch setup it may be a good idea to convert over to the older SI thru early SIV clutch! The 71/2 inch stuff is getting hard to find and the 8 inch stuff is easyer to get and you can use MGA pressure plate and disc. All you would have to do is change out your flywheel. Just a thought!:cool:

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Winter

George,
I thought about converting to the older style parts too because you or someone else pointed out the parts availability for the older stuff. I recently bought NEW clutch cover and friction disc so now I can have correct original style parts. I plan to send the old stuff out for rebuild so I can have spares or sell the items to recoup the $$ spent so far.
My approach is, usually, belt and suspenders...love the options that having original style parts and spares.
I thought about the Toyota 5sp trans conversion too because of the good feedback. I still feel original style parts are best for me in the long run.
Thanks again.
Jim

mikephillips

Donation Time
The MGT throwout bearing and wire retaining clips are the same as the later narrower Alpine throwout too. Can be had easily through Moss, Abingdon Spares and other T series suppliers.