• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch Time

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Can anyone give me the year (MGB) and other models of clutch pressure plates that will work on Alpines with the 8 inch disc. I do know that a MGB and maybe a Volvo P1800 will work? I just need the pressure plate as I am using a Toyota 5 speed and I will be using the Toyota Celica disc with this setup. Thanks!! :cool:

Last edited:

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
After some research I have found that the MGB any year pressure plate will work on Alpines S2 thru S4 or all with 8 inch clutch disc! Dose any one have info on the Volvo connection? For anyone looking for a clutch disc for the Alpine 5 with the ten spline input (7 1/2) here is a list of discs that could be used.

1954-59 Huskey Ser. I & II 7 1/4 184 1 10
1955-57 Mini MK 8, Ser. I & II 7 1/4 184 1 10
1948-54 Mini MK I-VII (Side Valve) 7 1/4 184 1 10
Hillman

1947-51 TC, TF (From Engine 9409) 7 1/4 184 1 10
MG-TD, TF, TC

1958-59 Metropolis Ser. II (From Engine 2G10001) 71/4 184 1 10
1955-57 Metropolis Ser. II (To Engine 2 71/4 184 1 10
Nash

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, George for the efforts to help SV Owners with the interchange of parts...

DanR

P.S. Old stuff(vehicles).

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a link to a file with Clutch disc crossovers for early Alpine with 8 and 8 1/2 inch disc. It also has the Alpine 5 crossovers as well.
( I can not attach files it seems so if you want the file send me a email and I will forward it to you!) :cool:

mikephillips

Donation Time
I would note George that the MG TC used a 7 1/4" clutch disc the 8" started partway through MG TD production in the 50s. While the 71/4" might work I would think the smaller size would cause not enough of it to be trapped between the pressure plate and flywheel to prevent slipping under "spirited" driving.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Does anybody know the original Borg & Beck part numbers for the Series IV & V 7.5" clutch disc and pressure plate?

Thanks,
Mike

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I would note George that the MG TC used a 7 1/4" clutch disc the 8" started partway through MG TD production in the 50s. While the 71/4" might work I would think the smaller size would cause not enough of it to be trapped between the pressure plate and flywheel to prevent slipping under "spirited" driving.

1947-51 TC, TF (From Engine 9409) 7 1/4" 184 1" 10spline
MG-TD, TF, TC
For use on Alpine V 10 spline.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Engine XPAG9409 is an MG TD number where the 8" clutch started being used, so saying 47 on and 7 1/4 is inconsistent with that. So based on that I'm thinking the information should exclude the 7 1/4" plate from being used.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
This is a clutch disc for MG TC and TD with 7 1/4 diameter clutch up to engine #9407. Cross Reference # 190-130, HB1313, HB9583 , so guess it should read up to 9407. :cool: