• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch slave rod length 1960 SII

Limey

Donation Time
Hi all,

I recently finally fitted the return spring on my SII slave cylinder clutch bearing arm. What happened caught me by suprise; clutch fluid came out of the master in large quantities.

The spring had pulled the clutch bearing arm all the way back towards the slave cylinder (nothing to stop it) and that pushes the rod and the piston to the back of the slave expelling the excess fluid out of the master. This indicates that the rod that is now fitted is too short.

a) Do you agree with my observations and,

b) What length should it be?

Thanks

Oliver

Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't understand what you did. Only the SI had a return spring (w/short slave) on the clutch release arm.
After the SI, they used the long slave and no spring and let the pressure plate return it back. In that way, very little clutch pedal travel is needed and it's very positive.
Jan

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oliver,
not sure whether a SII had a spring on the clutch rod or not but for b) pls. see picture below (threaded rod flush with front of nut):

IMG_20200706_184046.jpg

Limey

Donation Time
Thanks Jan - . I am obviously going senile and must have had a brain fade this weekend....o_O I saw a post of a pic of a SI with spring but I didn't notice the short slave in the pic. This image made me doubt myself and I thought I had forgotten the return spring on my SII so I rush to put one on and forgot about the short SI slave

I blame it on lockdown. My brain has turned to mush and I'm scratching around for any excuse to do some spannering; any spannering; but with only half a brain operational.

What a plum.:oops:

Limey

Donation Time
Oliver,
not sure whether a SII had a spring on the clutch rod or not but for b) pls. see picture below (threaded rod flush with front of nut):

View attachment 20332
Thanks Bernd - 140mm it is. Do you know when the adjustable rod went out of production. I think SI had them? Right now I am doubting my memory about everything..

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jan - . I am obviously going senile and must have had a brain fade this weekend....o_O I saw a post of a pic of a SI with spring but I didn't notice the short slave in the pic. This image made me doubt myself and I thought I had forgotten the return spring on my SII so I rush to put one on and forgot about the short SI slave

I blame it on lockdown. My brain has turned to mush and I'm scratching around for any excuse to do some spannering; any spannering; but with only half a brain operational.

What a plum.:oops:
Working in this heat will turn your brain to boiled oatmeal. Way too hot and humid in VA.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
You have a mixture of SI/SII parts. The adjustable push rod is from the SI; SII & later had a simple straight push rod and DIDN'T need adjustment.
Jan