• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch Lever Position

Alan F

Donation Time
Hi,

I was under my car over the weekend finishing up some of the transmission tunnel modifications and attempting to weld. I was looking at the clutch lever and was wondering where it typically is when the clutch is engaged. If it has to rotate much further back (rear of car) than vertical, I will have to modify the tunnel some more. The engine and transmission are in the car without the clutch, so I don't kow where it needs to be. I can check it when I pull the motor and trany back out, but I was wondering what others have found??

I am also thinking of using a pull slave cylinder.

Thanks,

Alan

Jim E

Donation Time
On my S3 the arm is just off the tunnel.

Most everyone is using a pull slave now with a standard bore clutch master cylinder. THe Wilwood pull slave is fairly easy to get and does not cost much.

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=98751&ck=

pullslave%20on%20engine%202.jpg

The link above should take you to how Dwain did the pull slave set up. The picture above is how I did it, both pretty much the same and Chuck is the one who showed us the way on this.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi,

I was under my car over the weekend finishing up some of the transmission tunnel modifications and attempting to weld. I was looking at the clutch lever and was wondering where it typically is when the clutch is engaged. If it has to rotate much further back (rear of car) than vertical, I will have to modify the tunnel some more. The engine and transmission are in the car without the clutch, so I don't kow where it needs to be. I can check it when I pull the motor and trany back out, but I was wondering what others have found??

I am also thinking of using a pull slave cylinder.

Thanks,

Alan
Hi Alan

You don't need to modify the tunnel to accommodate the clutch bell crank arm. The front face of the bellhousing sits almost even with the firewall. The arm sits almost vertical, when the clutch is adjusted correctly. The slave will be pulling it forward, so no interference with the tunnel.

Jose:)

skywords

Donation Time
Hello All
I was wondering if anyone has tried one of the hydraulic throw out bearings made for the T-5 tranny. The quad 4 package I purchased has one and I would like to hear from anyone who has tried one and what the pros and cons are. They sure look like a great way to solve the limited space problem we all incounter under these cars.

Thanks

Rick

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rick,

It has been tried, but the depth of the Mustang II bellhousing, makes it so the T5 specific bearing won't reach far enough to release the clutch. The bearing has to be spaced out about .75 farther, in order to work properly. I assume that you won't be using the Mustang II bellhousing, so you might be able to get away with it with no problems.

skywords

Donation Time
Jose
I Googled "hyraulic throw out bearing" and came up with several companies that sell them. One model came with a stack of spacers, The big warning that was published in the ad's was "limit the travel of the master cylinder to prevent the slave from blowing it's fluild" I supposed every widget has it's pros and cons. Why they can't use a snap ring or something to limit travel is a mystery. Reinventing the wheel. It would make for a real bad day if the fluid was lost and the transmission had to be pulled.

Thanks

Rick

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The McCloud and Tilton units can't be over traveled, because the piston has a lip that won't let it. I have used the hydrolic throw out bearing for years, but I have found that the external pull slave cylinder is a better mouse trap, especially if the cylinder needs servicing. The external slave doesn't require the transmission be pulled to fix it.

Alan F

Donation Time
Jose/Jim,

Thanks for the info. I feel better now. I didn't want to do further modifications the transmission tunnel.

Alan

skywords

Donation Time
The McCloud and Tilton units can't be over traveled, because the piston has a lip that won't let it. I have used the hydrolic throw out bearing for years, but I have found that the external pull slave cylinder is a better mouse trap, especially if the cylinder needs servicing. The external slave doesn't require the transmission be pulled to fix it.

Hello Jose
Learned that lesson today with the new Series II. I drove all day with no problem but when the wife drove it she called me saying the clutch went away. I was very relieved seeing the master cylinder empty and the slave cylinder leaking. refilled and drove home. I will take my new slave cylinder off the shelve and install without pulling the transmission. Easy fix! You very wise man Jose:)

Rick