• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch Issue

mferris

Donation Time
Something is odd with the clutch in my '66 SV (stock engine + 4 speed).

The car worked fine for 1-2K miles - I let it sit for a short while (2-3 months) now the clutch only disengages when the pedal is pressed completely on the floor. When I attempt to release it (even 1/4") the gears engage and I'm off to the races. The clutch disk is engaging (i.e. not slipping) - so I presume I'm not out of a clutch disk.

Thinking it was the hydraulics - I spent the last 2 weeks replacing the slave, putting new hydraulic line, and put the rebuild kit from SS in the master - no changes to how it now works - so that was a futile exercise.

I have not yet adjusted the fork at the end of the slave cylinder. I can add several inches to the length of the pushrod - and *guess* that may return the engagement point of the clutch to at least (?) mid-pedal - but - given that it worked for the last 1-2K miles just fine - why would I need to adjust the travel?

What else am I missing?

-M

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The clutch slave, pushrod and fork are not adjustable on Series V. I wonder if a PO installed an early Series setup, which is adjustable.

Not much in the way of other suggestions except the old fallback: When you installed the new slave, did you attach it to the correct side of the bellhousing? Also, is it making any new noises, like a squeal that might indicate a broken spring in the disk?

Last edited:

mferris

Donation Time
Thanks. I have no idea if it is stock - but I can lengthen the pushrod on my slave cylinder as it has a threaded connection where the pushrod clevis is attached. Should give me a little more room - but it still makes no sense to me why this would have changed.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
If it used to work fine and now disengages/engages too close to the floor then likley air has infiltrated your hydraulics.

OR you have a return spring on your throw out that causes excess fluid to be pushed back to the master and some portion of the beginning of your clutch application must first overcome the fluid.
If this is the case, in general you dont want a return spring on the slave side of the system as this can defeat the self adjustment of such a system.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I agree, it sounds like air in the system. In addition to checking that the slave is mounted on the back side of the bellhousing, be sure the bleed screw is on the top side of the slave.

Tom