• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

clutch issue

mattinoz

Donation Time
I have recently reinstalled my gearbox using a new friction plate but original pressure plate and thrust washer. I'm a little concerned that the clutch doesn't fully engage until the pedal is at the top of its travel giving the impression that it is slipping a little. This is bourne out by a clutch smell when fully loaded on an up hill sprint. The slave is mounted on the GB side. I'm not sure why I have this issue as these clutched are suppose to self adjusting. Any clues from the brains trust?

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Slave location

Not so fast! I remember installing my series v on the same side as I had on my series I. On examination, it appeared that the slave had to be moved to the other side to engage fully. Two items of note, 1) the slave appeared to ba an aftermarket unit and 2) the rod appeared shorter than I remembered. But on my series v the slave is on the bellhousing side and seems to work like it should.

mattinoz

Donation Time
Well I do know for sure there is a difference between early and later cars. The early cars had an adjustable shaft with a return spring, the later cars, SV IIRC, didn't have the adjustment or the spring and the slave was mounted on the other side compared to the early cars. I just don't remember which is which, but I'm pretty the SV had the slave mounted on the engine side.:confused:

65beam

Donation Time
clutch

mount the slave on the bell housing side. open you bleeder valve and push the rod and piston back into the slave. then follow the shop manual procedure for bleeding. it might be possible that you have a rod that is too long.