• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch cylinder rebuild

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm rebuilding my clutch master cylinder, but I can't tell from the illustrations in the manual exactly where everything goes. The photo shows the piston exactly the way it came out of the cylinder. But, judging by the exploded view in the manual, it looks like the rubber cup is installed backwards. It also sort of looks like the cup would fit nicely in the space between the slightly rusty end and the flange-thing just to the left of it. Can someone tell me what is correct?

Attachments

• piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 33

mikephillips

Donation Time
Unfortunately I don't have one sitting with me but the seal should not be able to move on the shaft of the piston, it should be in the are betwee the end and shaft flange. It should also have the wider end faciing into the master so that the pressure of the fluid as the shaft moves forces it open against the walls of the cylinder.

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
Makes sense to me. Thanks. I guess it just shifted position when I disassembled the cylinder. I don't see how it could have worked that way.

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
That looks right. Thanks. I don't see the silver washer that goes between the piston and the rubber cup. But maybe not all models use one