• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clone? Your opinion?

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
An auction for a supposed MKI Tiger B947o984 appeared (again) yesterday on eBay where the seller's listing is vague and it shows only a few pics. The car appears to share differing characteristics from a MKI and MKIa as well as Alpine. Such as: The body appears to be early but is lacking the front Sunbeam letters (coulda been filled in) and has a vinyl cover over the top stowage well (bin covers could be missing). The left-side top hat appears to be Alpine and the rad overflow tank is about 6" out of position.

1965 Other Makes | eBay

Note the seller has zero feedback on a handle created in September.

Opinions from the Tiger crown appreciated.

Mark ..... volvoguys

pruyter

Donation Time
The dashbord is certainly not original the grain of the wood is different to the original.
You could ask the vendor where the battery is placed. If it is in reality an Alpine and the battery is moved to the trunk as it should be in a Tiger than it is about impossible to hide that there was a battery box as in the Alpine. It is mostly in the engine bay that one can see if an Alpine is converted to a Tiger.
One of the signs is the right inner fender where there should be made room for the dynamo. This room in the fender has a particular form.
There are more signs which can tell is it a fake one or not. Take a look at the website of the international register of Tigers and you will see the most important signs.

Regards,

Peter

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thank you for your reply, Peter.

But I am already pretty well versed about the obvious and subtle differences between Alpine and authentic Tiger. Rather, I am asking people's opinions if the 5 pics give the first impression its a clone rather than authentic.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mark,
Look at the location of the shifter. It appears to be in the middle of the tunnel in relation to
the console, which appears to be an Alpine console as well. Could be lots of reasons for that, but
it doesn't say it has a 5 speed.

Cheers!
Steve

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I believe that’s the wrong center console/cubby for a Tiger. But the give-away for me is it still has the mounting bracket for the Alpine brake booster, sticking out of the right inner wheel well near the generator... Tigers didn’t have those, did they?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe that’s the wrong center console/cubby for a Tiger. But the give-away for me is it still has the mounting bracket for the Alpine brake booster, sticking out of the right inner wheel well near the generator... Tigers didn’t have those, did they?

IIRC, that is where the washer bottle mounting bracket attaches on a Tiger.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
To many things wrong on this car especially for that amount of money. Most curious about the lacking hood bin flaps which have to be there. Other issues as mentioned. Ask him to send pictures of the opened trunk/luggage platform up and from the underside...

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
"Rather, I am asking people's opinions if the 5 pics give the first impression its a clone rather than authentic"
Not enough pictures. Many many guys lose the soft top bin covers for a roll bar. Goes without saying no TAC a few pics equals a reason possibly as simple as a cheapskate seller avoiding seller fees. Too many well represented cars out there. Tis a shame that Norm's site has gone missing, no data on the VIN. Shifter does look a little aft of the normal position, but that could be the camera angle.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
"Rather, I am asking people's opinions if the 5 pics give the first impression its a clone rather than authentic"
Not enough pictures. Many many guys lose the soft top bin covers for a roll bar. Goes without saying no TAC a few pics equals a reason possibly as simple as a cheapskate seller avoiding seller fees. Too many well represented cars out there. Tis a shame that Norm's site has gone missing, no data on the VIN. Shifter does look a little aft of the normal position, but that could be the camera angle.
I think it is an Alger

RootesRooter

Donation Time
When the supposedly "private seller" claims "original parts," yet has a C.A.T. decal on the windshield, and then writes "...WE (emphasis added) have also added...", I smell some clueless backyard dealers looking to flip a Tiger at a premium price. Nothing inherently wrong with that. But I go with Warren on whether its a clone or not. Lots of things can happen to car over 50 years. I don't see anything definitive or super suspicious in these few photos.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
CAT mostly sold or sells rubber, head and had member sourced or manufactured repopped or group buy items. I'd say the CAT stickers on as a badge of affirmation.

I don't blame the 0 feedback seller, it seems like not a month goes by when you get a threatening letter from eBay saying we've changed the user agreement "to protect you." Lots of sellers put in their phone numbers and say other items available, or like I do say item is listed locally.

Guys who don't put underside pictures up may have legitimate reason to do so. This is a long way from someone's old trolling response of , whatever happens is between buyer and seller."

It's no secret that there's a numbers matching valve cover on a Tiger. Short of owning them and parting out several there's no substitute for a TAC.

All the usual search methods don't work on the VIN. Not a lot of members in Kentucky so it's real tough to get a fellow member to go by and kick her tires for you.

That's incredibly optimistic money for a non factory color resale red car. If you want an original paint car red car, I know of one in Henderson NV for much much less.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I really dont think you can assert anything definitively with such limited photos in low res.

As mark mentioned has an alpine top hat, things in odd locations..shifter is a ahort shifter and to far back and central.. Which makes me think 5 speed...

As for excuses.. Lots of cars lose or add the front lettering... My mkia had them added. My car has ST door trims ( though retains original GT doors)
The soft top cover isnt fitting right loke its not attached correctly.. So could be a IA cover on a MKI ...

In all lots of questions... Not enough info... Priced very optimistically for a car in that condition even wothout all the questionable areas

My .02

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I've seen worse with a whole Alpine inner and outer fender for on including the fender brace AKA top hat. Probably been hit on that side look at the "there I fixed it header tank AKA expansion tank."
Lovely to have a pinata to swing at.... And some people wonder why I didn't post pictures of the car I just sold.