• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clicking sound from Drivers side hub

gary1725

Donation Time
Hi Folks,

I have recently completed (I say completed but there is always something left that could be worked on) a restoration on my SV - anyway I have a little over 1000 miles on the car and have developed a "clicking" from the drivers side hub - it is rhythmic increasing with speed and more pronounced on sweeping right turns, if you touch the brakes even lightly it goes away. I checked the bearings (which are new) and they seem set OK so I am convinced that it is the inner pad "bouncing" up and down on the pins. I have confirmed that the brakes are not binding (even used a thermometer to check the temp of both discs after a good run) and can recreate the sound simply be rotating the hub by hand which is how I see the pad moving a little up and down making a clink as it settles back against the pin. The Pads I have fitted are from a local store and were ordered under the Datsun 160Z part number something I have done before without issue. What I notice and can not remember if this is true for all the pads I have used in the past is that the two outer holes in the pads body, through which the retaining pins pass, are elongated and not simply round which is what allows the pad that little bit of up and down movement.

I did not replace the discs as they looked serviceable and did not see replacements available anyway so I am wandering if the outer or inner lip of the disc is just catching the pad in one area as it catches that spot and then releases it again as it passes - before I start doing anything too radical I did wander if anyone else has any comment!

thanks

Gary

mikephillips

Donation Time
Did you have the discs resurfaced?? Originally they were 1/2 inch thickness and I've seen them turned as thin as 1/4. I have seen new, but reviews have been mixed and cracking in the hubs around the bolt holes have sometimes been reported. So over time I've grabbed several thicker originals at meets.

I'd have to check at home but I don't think the original pads had elongated holes for the pins, but been too long since I got a set out.

it's easy enough to check to see if it goes away, take the pads out on that one side and rotate the wheel by hand and see if the noise you hear goes away.

gary1725

Donation Time
yep - the noise did go away without the pads but no I did not have the discs turned - I have not had much success having them turned in the past. I am sure it is the pad and was curious about the elongated holes.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Clicking sound from drivers side

I would check out the condition of your discs as suggested by Mike. Assuming that your brake system is otherwise healthy, and the noise is just your pads moving around, there is a product called "Brake Quiet" they may be a solution. This is basically a Form-a-Gasket type product especially formulated to withstand the heat generated by brakes. You use it to "glue" your pads to your pistons (it will peel off when its time to change pads). Should be available at any auto parts store.

Good luck!

TR

gary1725

Donation Time
Thanks - I do use something that sounds like that, I forget the name, but it's almost a florescent orangey colour that sets with a soft rubber texture but its not really gluing the pad to piston. perhaps I didn't use enough (not like me) or let it cure long enough (more like me) - I just jumped in and drove the car.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
The product I use on all my disc brakes is CRC Disc brake Quiet to eliminate possible squealing/squeaks ... Not sure if thats going to cure the problem your describing. You might check your new pads against the old ones to see if any discrepancies exist between the two as well as wear on the bolts/pins.

...... David