• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

cleaning aluminium parts

mackem

Donation Time
Does anyone know of an easy way to clean aluminium parts such as thermostat housings, petrol pumps etc, the usual small ancillaries on an engine. I'm not looking for a concourse show winning mirror finish, just a nice clean looking part without all the effort of half a dozen wire brush attachments and lots of elbow grease.
What about the shiny penny and coca cola trick, would this work on aluminium or would it corrode it?.
Vinegar? I know it dissolves rust but would it clean aluminium without damage?

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
If you don't want a mirror finish and the effort that requires, degrease the parts and then use a Brillo soap pad and water.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't know whats quick, fast & good to clean aluminum. Glass bead blasting will get it very clean, but with a rough surface and the sheen is gone. I guess a rotary wire brush will work and not loose the surface sheen too much? Chemically, I don't know. I have used an aluminum cleaner from Honda motorcycle dealer that worked great, but its expensive.

65beam

Donation Time
aluminum parts

i use a wire brush , then clean with spray carb cleaner and paint them with SPRAY GREY from eastwood. it gives a nice cast aluminum look to parts such as the masters and fuel pump . the finish holds up good and looks good .

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Buy a 5 gallon can of Berryman's carburetor cleaner. This is a dip and clean solution. Worked great for my entire rebuild.

Thanks,
Jim

alpine_64

Donation Time
I ave had my parts hydro blasted. This returns them to an as cast finsh... very clean and the same finish they had from the factory.. its essentially glass bead blasting in water.. you just have to find someone who does it. Its used in the aircraft industry a fair bit.. so speak to the local airfield.