• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Chysler 3.8L v6

EdSua

Donation Time
Has anyone tried a v6 Chrysler engine on a Sunbeam?
I was at the wrecking yard and noticed that this engine is between 2 and 3 inches narrower between the exhaust flanges than the Ford 2.8 V6.
I looked it up and it has over 200 hp, aluminum heads and has been used for racing in the past.

britbeam

Donation Time
The main question.Is this a 60 degree motor? Probably not.Thats what it takes to make a conversion fit in a Alpine. Is there a bracket kit available,headers available ,trans mount available? If you want easy installation 2.8 V6 Ford is the answer and you can make more than enough hp if your willing to spend the money. Has anyone tried the 3.8 Chry ? I havent heard of anyone trying it. Go for what is proven and you will be enjoying the fun of a V6 Alpine before you know it.
Dwain V6 Krazy

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I don't keep up with the V6 conversion side of thing as much as I should, but why do you need a 60 degree motor? Surely if the motor was narrower and height was correct, why can't you use it? More room for the headers?

Thanks, Robin.

SDuncan

Donation Time
In junkyard form, is that not a minivan engine? What trnasmission could you use to adapt it to a RWD application?

miket

Donation Time
My vote says you'll have trouble with the exhaust.

It looks like the exhaust ports are perpendicular to the ground, and there isn't much room to make the turn.

I still think the Camaro 3.4 that I used is a very good option.

64beam

Donation Time
My vote says you'll have trouble with the exhaust.

It looks like the exhaust ports are perpendicular to the ground, and there isn't much room to make the turn.

I still think the Camaro 3.4 that I used is a very good option.

Surely it can't be any more trouble than a V8 ;) .

D

Dr.NO 007

as per SDuncan's inquirey .. I too would like to know what Chrysler vehicles these V6 are commonly found in? and are they a rear wheel drive / transmission configuration ?

maybe a Dodge Dakota truck might be one prospect. I don't know.
Chuck M.

miket

Donation Time
Robin,

I think the difficulty in setting up the exhaust depends on the configuration of the engine. If the engine is 90 degrees and the ports are at 90 degrees to each other, then you only need 45 degree bends. On my 60 degree V6 I have stock manifolds that turn 60 degrees.

The Chrysler engine looks like the bends would have to be 90 degrees.

You could do what some of the MGB V8 guys so and just chop the wheel well, but I think that makes for a sloppy looking setup.

SDuncan

Donation Time
From looking on that Allpar site, the 3.8 was used in minivans and the LH platform vehicles (Intrepids, Concordes, etc) which are all FWD applications. The V6 that was used in the Dakota was 3.9, which is a cut-off version of the 5.2.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Intrepids and Concords are not known for long-lasting engines, btw.
But I guess then parts would be easy to get at junkyards, though!

Ken

robertf

Donation Time
In junkyard form, is that not a minivan engine? What trnasmission could you use to adapt it to a RWD application?

The current body style Jeep Wrangler uses them, and Jeep now makes a 2 wheel drive wrangler :rolleyes:

The gear ratios are probably way off for what you would want in a car, but it is possible.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My limited experience with modern transmissions is the gear spacing is pretty good. All you need to do is match the engine/tranny with the correct rear ratio. Don't know about what's being used today, but I believe Jeep was the first to use the T5. There might be some backward compatibility.

Ken, what are you calling "not a long lasting engine"? It seems 200,000 miles is about the norm, does that mean the Chrysler lasts only a 150,000?

If the engine is indeed that narrow, sounds like a good possibility. Ultimately, someone will have to drop one into an Alpine for a look-see. Don't think there is any other way to know.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Has anyone tried a v6 Chrysler engine on a Sunbeam?
I was at the wrecking yard and noticed that this engine is between 2 and 3 inches narrower between the exhaust flanges than the Ford 2.8 V6.
I looked it up and it has over 200 hp, aluminum heads and has been used for racing in the past.
Hi Ed,

How long is it. The Alpine bay is pretty short.

Jose

robertf

Donation Time
My limited experience with modern transmissions is the gear spacing is pretty good. All you need to do is match the engine/tranny with the correct rear ratio. Don't know about what's being used today, but I believe Jeep was the first to use the T5. There might be some backward compatibility.

Ken, what are you calling "not a long lasting engine"? It seems 200,000 miles is about the norm, does that mean the Chrysler lasts only a 150,000?

If the engine is indeed that narrow, sounds like a good possibility. Ultimately, someone will have to drop one into an Alpine for a look-see. Don't think there is any other way to know.

Bill

Jeep hasn't used a t5 since 86, and that was with an AMC engine. This one is 100% chrysler so there is no bellhousing adapter as far as I know. If anyone ever makes one it will probably be Advance Adapters. As for as longevity on this engine, I think they had some really bad crank thrust problems when it was first introduced in the early 90's. I remember reading a story about Chrysler employees renting vehicles from Hertz and tearing them apart to check out wear issues. I think the journal lengths and diameters were increased since then.

The transmission used now is a 6 speed and first gear is pretty low. Not as low as 3/4 ton trucks from the olden days, but starting in 2nd gear wouldn't be that uncommon in those Jeeps.

I test drove a new Wrangler and I thought it was very underpowered, and I drive a 3.9 v8 Discovery every day so I'm no stranger to vehicles with no power. Now in a vehicle that weights almost a ton less it would probaby be a completely different animal.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
So which bell housing/engine bolt pattern does the 3.8 have? I seem to have missed that. Is it the GM V6 pattern?

Bill

robertf

Donation Time
No, the buick 3.8 is the one they are talking about being close to the gm 60 degree pattern.

From looking at the picture on the last page of that thread I'd say the chrysler 3.8 has its own unique bellhousing pattern.