• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Changing from wire wheel to sold wheel hubs.

AlsPine

Donation Time
Hi all,
I have a series 3 Alpine with wire wheel hubs, but want to change out to the standard hubs for "Panasport" wheels.
I have replaced the front suspension cross member with a late Alpine cross member that has been rebuilt, so that's solved.

As for the rear hubs, there are several way's to go.

1: Just swap out the complete series 3 rear end assy with a series V that I
have on hand.
Then will just have to replace the emergency brake cable with the late
one.

2: Try to pull the WW hubs off and use the hubs from the series V rear end.
But reading the 1725 shop manual, it says that the hubs and axles are not
interchangeable with the early rear ends.
Reading the threads on this job, it sounds like it could be very difficult to
get these hubs off that have been on for 50+ years.

But if that were not true, Then:

3: My series 1- IV shop manual says that the later differential axles have 25
splines. So it would be easy to pull the Series 3 axle assy's and side in
the series V Axles. That's assuming of course that the series V axle uses
the same bearing as the series 3.

Anyone with experience with this swap have a suggestion as to which way to go?
Thanks for your help.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
If the WW hubs are at end-of-life, and you have access to good tools, it's worth a try to remove them. It also lets you keep the existing diff, which is good if it's known to be good/quiet/tight, and the axle bearings good and seals not leaking. I, too, have read they can be a bear to remove, but not impossible.

If you wind up with some front WW hubs that are in good shape, spline-wise (not sharp) I may be interested, depending on the result of other possible deals... let me know. (I'll have to research if SIII WW front hubs can be put on an SV.)

mikephillips

Donation Time
Easiest thing would be to swap rear ends. The axles and hubs from the V do no swap into the earlier rear, the bearing setup is different and the outside taper on the axle is larger meaning the hub won't seat on the earlier axle due to the increased size of the axle hole in it. While it might be possible for a machine shop to alter both the early rear and the later axle/hub to make them work together, at what point is it not money well spent?? Or of course find a disc wheel early rear from a I-IV to get hubs from.

AlsPine

Donation Time
Easiest thing would be to swap rear ends. The axles and hubs from the V do no swap into the earlier rear, the bearing setup is different and the outside taper on the axle is larger meaning the hub won't seat on the earlier axle due to the increased size of the axle hole in it. While it might be possible for a machine shop to alter both the early rear and the later axle/hub to make them work together, at what point is it not money well spent?? Or of course find a disc wheel early rear from a I-IV to get hubs from.

Hi Mike,
That's what I thought.
The 1725 shop manual said the same thing.
I checked the gear ratio, and it is a 3.89, so while it is on the work stand, will pull it apart, and put lock tight on the ring bolts as I read in a thread that some members have reported that these bolts have come loose. Will also replace the pinion seal, and check the axle bearings.

I have a rebuilt 1725 engine that I did years ago, and a rebuilt all synchro OD transmission that I bought from England a while back, it's still in the crate. Had a driveshaft shortened for it also.
Installed fresh air vents openings that I cut out of a series 5 parts car and converted from a GT to a series V style convertible top.

I also installed the "GT" gas cap from the series V using the section of sheet metal from the S V tail.
Such a fun project.
Hope to have the S3 ready for paint this summer. It's Code 68 - Autumn Gold Metallic, but will make it slightly brighter, as that original color, to me, is a little flat looking like semi flat paint. I want to get it close to looking like a lacquer paint job, so will have to play around with clear coat to see if I can get that effect.

The bottom line for this project is that I am building the Alpine that I always wanted, A "Shark Tail" Alpine with all of the features of a series V.

Thanks for the info Mike.
I have had Sunbeam Alpines since 1968, and Tigers since 1969 & '70, and wouldn't trade them for (almost) anything else. (Guess that dates me!)

The last Tiger in '70 cost me $1200, should have bought several!

Last edited:

AlsPine

Donation Time
If you wind up with some front WW hubs that are in good shape, spline-wise (not sharp) I may be interested, depending on the result of other possible deals... let me know. (I'll have to research if SIII WW front hubs can be put on an SV.)

Hi Ken,
Sorry, but that front end went away some time ago.:(