• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Center Steering Rod

tigereater

Silver Level Sponsor
My husband ordered the replacement center steering rod for our SI Alpine from Sunbeam Car Parts in the UK last month. We made an order of several other smaller parts to make the shipping worth the price. He pulled the motor to gain full access and took the opportunity to do a bit of maintenance and refurbishing in the engine bay. He installed it recently and I just want to pass on that the part was well made and really helped with the front shimmy on our car.
Gina

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
The original one was essentially a rubber donut with a bolt through it. That rubber was known to basically disintegrate, crack, fall apart or all three. It made for an absurdly problematic play in the steering. But the Rapier version was a full ball joint with grease fitting. Sunbeam Specialities used to sell that Rapier version. I don't know if they still do. I have one and like you said, made a world of difference.

tigereater

Silver Level Sponsor
The original one was essentially a rubber donut with a bolt through it. That rubber was known to basically disintegrate, crack, fall apart or all three. It made for an absurdly problematic play in the steering. But the Rapier version was a full ball joint with grease fitting. Sunbeam Specialities used to sell that Rapier version. I don't know if they still do. I have one and like you said, made a world of d

tigereater

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, that's what he found when he removed it. The updated one is made as you say. He's moved on to replacing/refurbishing dashboard, gauges, turn switch, etc. All prep for taking it out of winter storage.

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a question regarding a center steering bar. On an original one, how do you lube it? I see no grease fitting or any other means of putting lube it. Mine is nice and tight, but I think it should have some kind of lubrication. Thanks for any answers. Dave

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
And how comfortable are you that it is tight? I thought mine was tight until the alignment shop had someone hold the steering wheel, while another person turned each front road wheel side to side - and had me look at the rod. The play was obvious, and very wrong.