• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carpeting.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
One of my winter projects for the SV, is to install new carpeting throughout. As cost can be a project stopper I've chosen to cut and fit my own carpeting as I already have a roll of short plush black carpet to use. Getting binding done seems to be an issue with any carpet suppliers, less you buy their carpet and I expect it to be expensive.
So, wondering if any have tried the glue on binding from " Instabind or Bond Products "? Relatively inexpensive at 125$ Canadian for a 54 foot roll.
Also, before I start making patterns for the carpet, does any one know of a PDF of the carpet outlines out there that could be purchased?
Thanks eh, Bob

BACKYARD

Silver Level Sponsor
I just put a set of carpets in my 67 , got them from Newark carpet . half of the pieces almost fit , some needed lots of trimming one piece that goes over the battery box seems to be cut wrong , one is missing and there are two that must have been thrown into the box to get them out of the way . there where no instructions or pictures . after a couple of calls they sent me instructions . one of the things they said was to use a heat gun to melt the edges to keep them from fraying , this worked well

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
I copied patterns from old carpets, made patterns where old carpet pieces were missing and took these to my car upholstery guy. These guys can almost always supply the carpet you want or you can bring in what you want. They can also do the binding, which can be difficult for diy’er on inside corners. They can also sew a rubber pad under the pedals for your heels to rest on, especially under the gas pedal where there is a lot of wear. Over the years I have had good results at a very favourable price.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
To Backyard; sorry to hear about your issues. Advertising is easy, providing what is advertised, a lot harder at times.
To Bluenose; love seeing your car and wow the mileage you put on to attend events is impressive. I may try my upholstery guy to see what he can do.
Bob

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
To continue a comment I made before, carpet from VB was garbage (and currently possibly sold by Moss), the carpet from SS was great - EXCEPT the transmission tunnel. I realize you didn't ask about these things. But I bring it up so that hopefully you can get some good comments on how to do it right. The factory version I believe was steamed and stretched over a buck to make a shell of sorts.

The SS was close. It fit everywhere nicely except the spot just behind the shifter - the tightest curve and bends. It went over the cigarette ash tray fine. It had two slits that went up and around the bad spot. Like I said, close but not perfect. I don't think adding more slits might be the answer. I think it may work better to have only one vertical slit in the center. But then one horizontal one just below the curve - if that makes sense.

And then don't necessarily sew them together. Maybe have a cloth that it gets glued onto - or stitch it onto the cloth itself. On the stitched areas, at least on the ones I've seen, the stitching creates sort of a thick overlap. That's why I suggest sewing through a cloth underneath instead - or a really good glue.

These are just my thoughts right now. I have not done it to know this will actually work. But I do have experience working fabrics and carpet.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
All I know is that the last carpet set I installed was complete garbage. From what I understand Martha
doesn't want to do carpet sets anymore. The last set was from an outfit in Newark, NJ and was horrible,
no padding, very little bound pieces and nothin fit, especially the tunnel. I know that Curt is selling a set made
in Long Island and it's better, not as nice as Marthas set, but better than a lot of others.