• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carburation

kmathis

Donation Time
Just my 2 cents...there is a whole bunch of us V6 guys out there running the Holley 390 CFM carb without issue, I think the carb is just right, and when I ran mine on the dyno, the guy said that the air/fuel ratio across the range was excellent.
I too like those Edlebrock carbs (way easier than the Holleys) and have used the 500 CFM right out of the box on 289s and 302s and they worked fantastic. So, I would guess if you wanted to experiment with the Edelbrock on the 2.8, we would all like to hear the results, but keeping it simple and going with the tried and true is so often the most economical way to go.:) IMHO.:rolleyes:

Your thoughts?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Guy's that use the Edelbrock 500cfm on 215 Buick and Rover 3.5 V8, run the jets and needles 2 # leaner. I had the older Carter AFB 400cfm on a Buick V6 and 215 V8 and it was perfect on both those motors. I also ran 350 Holley 2 barrels on Chevy 3.1 and 3.4 V6's. I think the Ranger intake with Holley or Autolite 2 barrel should work well on the little Ford V6, if you don't want to spend so much for the Offy and 390 Holley.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Todd referred to "... across the pond ...." which is very different than what was done in N.A.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have read somewhere (maybe here) that across the pond in England, the popular carb upgrade is to replace the stock two barrel (where the barrels open in progression) with one where the barrels open simultaneously. If the Holley is oversized, maybe they are on to something - especially for a basically stock engine.

TR

I believe the Mustang II carbs were 2 stage Holley/Webers, while the 79 Mustang and Bronco II/Ranger carbs were straight 2V.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I believe the Mustang II carbs were 2 stage Holley/Webers, while the 79 Mustang and Bronco II/Ranger carbs were straight 2V.

There was a single stage Weber with two 38 mm chokes. Pretty much a dead ringer for the progressive two bbl. I only saw one of them, it was purchased in a speed shop. Is that the two bbl you are talking about?

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
There was a single stage Weber with two 38 mm chokes. Pretty much a dead ringer for the progressive two bbl. I only saw one of them, it was purchased in a speed shop. Is that the two bbl you are talking about?

Bill

Looking at the picture of the MII V6 carb, it looks just like the one that was on my Pinto.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Kelly, I would agree that the "Jose System" has been widely adopted and appears to be very successful, but in most cases those engines are far from stock (headers, compression ratio, cam, etc.).

Bill, I think the Weber you found fits the description perfectly.

It would be very interesting to do a back to back comparison between the stock 2 bbl, the Weber 38 that Bill found, and an Offy/Holley on an otherwise stock engine.

TR

RootesRacer

Donation Time

Bill

The 38DGS/DGES/DGAS has 38mm throttle plates.
It has 24 and 26mm chokes that are cast into the the carb as it is based on a modified DGV casting.

Essentially it is a synchronous throttle version (uses gears instead of a linkage) of the 32/36 DGV carb. The larger plates are nice but having the same sized chokes makes it a marginal flow improvement.
If you are looking for hens teeth, there used to be a weber 40DFV carb that had 40mm plates and larger chokes that was a performance option for the european Ford Capri with the 2.6 and 2.8 engine.

kmathis

Donation Time
Kelly, I would agree that the "Jose System" has been widely adopted and appears to be very successful, but in most cases those engines are far from stock (headers, compression ratio, cam, etc.).

Bill, I think the Weber you found fits the description perfectly.

It would be very interesting to do a back to back comparison between the stock 2 bbl, the Weber 38 that Bill found, and an Offy/Holley on an otherwise stock engine.

TR

You're right about that, Todd. I thought of that later, and also that the early ones did come with that Weber/Holley two Bbl.