• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carb synch tool

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, that tool is called a 'Uni-Syn' and it works very well indeed for synchronizing the airflow of any multi-carb setup, including British S.U. and Zenith-Stromberg constant-depression carburettors. In fact, I use that same tool to synch mine.

Tips:

- Make sure the foam has not degraded and seals properly against the carb face. If it has perished, replace it with slices of closed-cell foam tape.

- Spin the center adjuster on the Uni-Syn to lift the ball to about the midway point in the tube when installed on operating carb.

- Slacken at least one of the throttle cross-bar bolts to ensure that the throttle position for each carb can be adjusted independently without moving the other carb's throttle. Tighten the bolt once you're done equalizing and do a double-check to ensure they are both still at the same airflow.

Of course, you also then need to synch the fuel mixtures. I'd advise using two Gunson Colortune devices for that operation. By combining these two tools you can bring your dual carb setup into a very nice state of tune, given the carbs themselves are not faulty or badly worn.

Uni-Syn%20ad.jpg
m510_colortune_mixture_tester.jpg

KenDemp

Donation Time
Thanks Kevin. That information is very helpful. I figured it was a generic tool, and would work well.

I put in an order for a colortune device also, so we will get that baby purring like a kitten.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I use two Colortune plugs in mine - one in #1 and the other in #4 - and tune it in the early evening so I can easily see both plugs. This allows you to ensure you get both mixtures exactly right at the same engine temperature, etc., but more importantly to physically compare the two flame temperatures, side-by-side, to be certain they're exactly the same. With only one you'll need to stop the motor and move the plug from the front to the rear halfway through your tuning... this can throw off your tuning a bit... and then you won't have that side-by-side capability either.

Also, remember that most carburettor problems are electrical in nature. ;) Make sure your timing, dwell/point gap, and spark plugs are up to snuff and properly adjusted before you fiddle with those carbs.

KenDemp

Donation Time
Unfortunately, I will have to do the poor man's version, and use one at a time. I can be patient and methodical.

I have done some of the electrical adjustments, and will polish of the rest while I am waiting for the delivery of my new carb tools.

thanks again!!

Jim in PA

Donation Time
I use two Colortune plugs in mine - one in #1 and the other in #4 - and tune it in the early evening so I can easily see both plugs. This allows you to ensure you get both mixtures exactly right at the same engine temperature, etc., but more importantly to physically compare the two flame temperatures, side-by-side, to be certain they're exactly the same. With only one you'll need to stop the motor and move the plug from the front to the rear halfway through your tuning... this can throw off your tuning a bit... and then you won't have that side-by-side capability either.

Also, remember that most carburettor problems are electrical in nature. ;) Make sure your timing, dwell/point gap, and spark plugs are up to snuff and properly adjusted before you fiddle with those carbs.

I used the method Kevin describes and it worked well.. I adjusted my valves first, set the dwell/ point gap then timing then carb balance then Colortune to get the correct color of combustion flame. Now that I type this I realize that it is time to redo these items...at least check and adjust as needed.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Of course, us old f*rts used a piece of plastic tube stuck in one ear, and listened to each air intake in turn, judging flow rate by the sound volume. I improved this somewhat by liberating a headset during a return trip on TWA from England back in the 1970s, when they were just twin plastic tubes connected to rudimentary plastic earphones.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a Uni-Syn but could never get the hang of using it. The engine always died while I had the carb covered, even with the center adjusted to position ball higher than the half-way point. I had this problem with my original Strombergs and the DCOE's - one reason the car now has a 32/36.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The uni-syn and other manometer based meters are rather restrictive and do affect the engine when in place.

The meter shows above by twospeed is much more sensitive and doesnt choke the motor down while measuring.
The meter is made in germany but sold under a bunch of names in the US.