• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carb parts

Lolat324

Donation Time
Hey anyone know if two parts in this picture are available? One is the phenolic block located between the two sections of the Zenith carb body see in this picturealpine carb parts 6-6-21.jpg . The other is the obviously broken element, the 'hooked' shaped affair. I have superglued it back together and fabricated two small braces, but love to have a back up.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I don't know that either of these are available new anymore. Bernd in Germany can chime in on that. I believe I have used, unbroken, versions of both parts if it comes to that.

PM me if so.

Rick

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rick is correct, i.e. the plastic "hook shaped affair" is not available new anymore. You need to find a good used one. If you can't find one in US let me know. Regarding the phenolic block there is a modern plastic replacement which in combination with an upper/lower gasket will perfectly do the job. Pls. have a look here:

http://zenithcarb.co.uk/service-kit-suitable-for-various-applications-20856.html

Can not see what is wrong with your spacer though. Normally they can be cleaned and reused.

To Rootes Racer: I'm not quite sharing your opinion that the earlier metal cams are better. Of course they don't split, but they create more wear because metal on metal rollers...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
From my opinion the twin Zenith's were the best carb setup used on Alpines originally. Good power, smooth running, excellent, stable idle and best fuel economy vs. output. Stroms are crap - even I run them on my SV for originality reasons and not worth to spend a word about the Solex...

RootesRacer

Donation Time
From my opinion the twin Zenith's were the best carb setup used on Alpines originally. Good power, smooth running, excellent, stable idle and best fuel economy vs. output. Stroms are crap - even I run them on my SV for originality reasons and not worth to spend a word about the Solex...
Agreed, a well sorted pair of zeniths is the top stock carb choice.
Best overall is a 38/38 DGES on a modified solex intake.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Indeed, he twin Zeniths are the most underrated original carb setup . No experience with the 38/38 DGES yet. But could be an upgrade to the well known 32/36. In general Alpines respond very well to these DG series Weber carbs. We have several in our German club and they normally outperform the twin Stroms and the Solex with ease. They even gave my S1 dual sightly tuned Zeniths (1744s with 30 Venturis) a hard time, but in the end I won. Not sure whether 36/36 would outperform me, but to be tried...

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
And they just look so good with those wire mesh air cleaners on them too!