• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carb Issues 2.8 V6

SeanP

Donation Time
I have not now that I have a pressure gage I can check the one installed inline I have started to question it.it never goes below 5 even when off and when the pump is running it shows just below 8. The car has a holley electric pump and the original owner had a filter before the carb and one some where by the fuel pump. That may indicate a issue.

kmathis

Donation Time
Well got the new distributor and coil in last night. The restart went almost without a hitch. I think I got is stabbed one tooth off and had to turn the distributor counter clockwise as far as it would go to get started. Will attempt to re-stab it tonight. It was encouraging at first, idling strong after warm up (180deg). I adjusted the idle screw to about 850 and tweaked the mixture screws until I was able to get about 15-16 vacuum steady 1.75 turns on mix screws. Took it for a drive around the block and it seemed a little sluggish but as soon as I got off throttle after jumping on it for a few blocks it stalled off throttle and would not idle. Got it back in the garage and it refused to run with out my foot on the gas. I had re-installed the 57 main jets because 62 just seemed to big and when I bought the car a few weeks back it seemed to be running fine with the 57's so I may need to adjust the floats again but I doubt its causing the idle problem. Just don't have enough trouble shooting experience to know what to look at. What might be causing it to not idle after a little hard driving?

Hi, Sean:
I had my engine and carb set up on a Dyno, and they re-jetted my carb because it was too lean. So, I pulled my carb apart to see what jets they used, here is what I found:
Primary side jets are #54
Secondary side jets are #66
If your float level is too high, it can affect the idle circuit; so remove the brass plug on the side of the primary bowl and turn on your electric fuel pump...if you have gas spilling out of that hole, the float is too high, and is easily adjusted by the brass nut on top of the bowl, you don't have to turn it to much for an adjustment either. Then do the same on the secondary side, once there is no gas flowing out of those holes, you will find it is much easier to set you idle.
Mine was too high, right out of the box, and was dumping gas into the carb, once I adjusted that till gas wasn't coming out of the plug holes, the adjustment for idle was much easier and much more consistent.
With those jets, I was running a near perfect fuel/air mixture, of course there are a number of other air bleeds etc...that can affect the operation, as well. but, this could be a good place to start.
Hope that helps:)

SeanP

Donation Time
hey kelly what carb are you running? the holley 0-8007 has a metering block on the secondaries so i don't think i can change the jets on that side. 54 seem reasonable 57's are six larger than the 51's the carb came with stock

gordonra

Donation Time
hey kelly what carb are you running? the holley 0-8007 has a metering block on the secondaries so i don't think i can change the jets on that side. 54 seem reasonable 57's are six larger than the 51's the carb came with stock

Hi Sean,

I have the same carb as you and Kelly.... The secondary metering block that came with mine is fixed, but you can buy a kit to upgrade it to have replaceable jets. My primaries and secondaries are both #54 right now. Since I'm running about the same configuration that Kelly was, I'm going to try #66 in the secondaries, but it does run pretty darn good as it is.

One of these days I'll get it on a dyno and fine tune it, but until then you'll see me riding around with a big grin.

Regards,

Rich

kmathis

Donation Time
Rich is right, Sean; those Holleys come with a fixed metering block on the secondary side, and I purchased an aftermarket metering block, (from Holley) where I can change those out to different sizes.

Rich, just did all of the performance upgrades to his stock engine, and wow, what a difference...zoom.:)

SeanP

Donation Time
ok so car is running much better now. I had Don Gardyne the resident holley expert work on my car today. I have been having issues with the car idling and no matter how rich we made the mixture it just would not idle. We ended up drilling out the idle jets enlarging them from .029" .035" this improved the idle greatly. Next week Don is going to replace the secondary metering block with one that will except jets and idle mixture screws. He believes that due to the separated intake on the offenhauser manifold this would allow us to tune it and improve the response and vacuum pressure which is sitting at 11-12. This will improve the idle even more. So you were right Roots Racer thanks everyone for the help.