• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

can we change from generator to alternator

bbonner

Donation Time
If we have 1964 sunbeam alpine with generator positive ground can we change over to an alternator. My understanding is that this is not possible. Please advise

Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't see why not. The Lucas alternator will bolt right on, using the series V mounting bracket. You'll need to make up some new wiring.
Jan

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bev, it IS possible. Most who have done it have changed their car from Pos to Neg ground as well, since most Alternators are Neg ground.

Most who have made the change use a modern Alternator with a built in regulator. Most use a SV mounting bracket, to replace the Generator bracket.

Here's a summary of what is required:
1) Alternator with built in regulator- several choices
2) Series V alternator Bracket
3) Change several wires- not too complicated, but requires care
4) Change polarity on your Tach, radio (if you have one)
5) Starter, wiper, heater blower, horn, blinkers, lights, gauges, etc do NOT need to be changed. I assume your car still has the original "Voltage Stabilizer" for the temp and fuel gauges) - no change needed.
6) Battery connections need to be swapped.

I think that's it. I can post links to more explicit instructions and may even have a detailed document on the wiring changes

Tom

bbonner

Donation Time
I don't want to change to negative ground we tried that and my car did not run for two months. I mean without changing the Positive ground. Everyone says it is so easy but I have electronic ignition went out and bought new negative ground for the Electronic ignition and it still did not run for 2 months. So I am afraid of going that root again.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, I see listings when I do a google search for Positive Ground Alternators. But all seem to be from specialty suppliers, and I find no local parts store listings for them.

I saw your past postings about Pos ground, neg ground, Pertronix, etc, but never saw an explanation of what was what and what happened. Many have made the Pos to Neg swap and also to Alternator.

Tom

bbonner

Donation Time
I really don't know. all I know is it would not start and soon as he changed everything back it started right up. I just bought a new generator last summer and now he thinks it is bad again. Maybe the brushes are stuck but I don't know why in a year when I don't run it all year. Oh well we will have to rebuild or replace the generator again.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
It makes little sense to say you would change from a generator to an alternator but refuse to go to negative ground...

Changing to negative ground is almost trivial and the only thing that would need changed is an electric tach (if so equipped) and the ignition coil (if it is even a pos ground unit). Everything else will just work.
Go back to points if you cant get a neg ground electronic ignition to work. That even is almost trivial unless you blew the unit with miswiring.

bbonner

Donation Time
It isn't that I don't want to go to negative it is that my husband has been unsuccessful in changing it over. It was in the garage at our house from April til July 25th not running because he could not change it to negative ground and get it to run. We bought the part to change the electronic ignition over to negative ground, the first thing, it is just his inability to get it to work that is the problem. So to avoid not having a car to drive all summer, I made him put it back to positive ground and it started right up. That is why I don't want to try again to change it to negative ground. Obviously, it needs someone with more tech savvy than he has. I don't understand why he can't though as he has a 64 chevy he works on all the time, we had a corvair which he worked on, datsun z 260, vw bug, vw camper, etc etc etc. But when it comes to this Alpine he struggles. So I have resolved myself to keeping it Positive ground. We have been told we have to polarize the voltage regular everytime the battery is changed I guess which seems ridiculous. We have done that today and now we will see if it holds a charge with the new generator and regular we just replaced last summer. IF not I will replace the regulator and if that doesn't work the generator. Out of ideas. As I said I would love to change it to Negative ground but under the circumstances I am stuck.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
When you say "We bought the part to change the electronic ignition over to negative ground", unless it was a whole new ignition unit, there is no "part" that would let you keep a pos ground ignition box work on a neg ground car.

Convert back to points, get it running then go to negative ground (it will still all run).
Then once you have crossed that bridge, lastly install the correct negative ground ignition box.

If you want the reliability of electronic ignition and an affordable replaceable alternator, neg ground is the solution.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Oh, and on the "polarize the voltage regular everytime the battery is changed", I call horse-pucky.

The generator field armature is supposed to hold a residual magnetic field to kickstart the static field when the generator is running at idle. The coils core may not hold the field for any length of time so the system counts on the discharge light bulb to give some juice to the regulator to help the field coil energize without the field regulator in play.

Without this bulb, the system is isolated and after the field coils residual magnetic field has dissipated, the system may end up in a condition that makes the startup unable to generate sufficient voltage to run the regulator.
Do you have a bulb and does it work? An LED bulb if used will not pass enough current for this to function BTW.

The "polarization" procedure kickstarts the field coil which will make the generator work again for a while but the same situation may later reoccur if the car is not driven daily.

An alternator removes the above problems.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bev, just to be clear, the "discharge light bulb" that RR mentions is the Ignition Warning light next to the ignition switch. If that light does not come on when you first turn the key ON, then it is either burned out, missing, or not wired in and will cause the problems RR describes.

I too am puzzled about your attempted Pos to Neg earth swap and why it would not work.

Tom