• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cam Shaft Recomendations

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Finally got my car running and was getting the carb tuned and got the numbers from the shop and it was a measly 109HP.

We are running the Jose grind on the Delta cam and has a ton of lope to it. Thinking of running a different cam since something doesn't seem right.

Running like 40 degrees of advance too. It's happy at this degree. Any advice?

The heads were ported and polished and using a Holley 390 with the 4 barrel Offy intake.

Performance Distributor to match the engine with MSD.

The shop said it was running lean. They set the car right but still seems down on power.

Any advice?

Attachments

• 66154282600__D4C9444A-B656-49C6-89E5-8A78C7984257 (2).JPG
    66154282600__D4C9444A-B656-49C6-89E5-8A78C7984257 (2).JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 36

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Comp cams 38-241-4, Racer Walsh Stage One, Camcraft under antique cams. Remember Mustang II and early Capri had smaller cam journals than the Ford Ranger and Bronco II. 109HP at the rear wheels would be about 130HP at the flywheel.

Last edited:

Rockonp04

Donation Time
I talked to a fellow V6er and he thinks the dyno cut off too soon. He didn't push it past 5k. It runs great and everything he mentioned about the car seems fine. If you follow the graph it seems like it could have gotten another 20 HP which is an acceptable amount. The dyno tech cut it off sooner because the belts were squealing. Anyways, I think I'm happy for now. Car runs great.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
40 degrees advance? Really? I don't know Ford V6s. But I thought for any car, over 30* and you're looking at predetonation risk, over 36* and you're getting predetonation unless you have twin plugs or too low compression.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
He probably needs more inital static advance to run and should limit the total to 34. Or he may be counting vacuum advance too. I've had cams that required 20 degrees advance and had low vacuum because it was more of a full race cam and had too much duration and overlap.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The jose grind is a "Full Race" cam... Delta has stated it will NOT produce vacuum at or below 900RPM. I've been thru this....................

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Yea it won’t idle under 1k rpm. I got rid of the squeak and will take it to the dyno sometime soon. Engine is strong and the cam really wakes up in the upper revs. I compared my horsepower curve with Kelly Mathis and ours are almost a carbon copy up to 4750 rpm. Kelly ran his up to 6k and got 145 hp. I’m sure our would do it.

However, I am open to other cam suggestions. How does the Racer Walsh can run? Better low end? Max HP and Torque?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
It's about the same as the Comp Cams grind. Decent idle and good midrange power. The Racer Walsh Stage Two and the Camcraft are between the Jose cam and the others. I would limit your distributor centrifugal advance so it is max at 34 degrees,

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Well the shops I’ve taken it too say the engine likes it at this timing and the air fuel ratio is great. I’m at around 42 degrees and Kelley was a shade under 40. The engine just likes it there.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am not familiar with Racer Walsh. I am very familiar with the Jose (Delta Grind). As I stated above and many times before a Delta REP said it does not produce vacuum at or below 900 RPM.

If you want to go racing, it is a great performer.

I am happy with the Comp Cam Jim (260 Alpine) helped me with.

There are two Jose cams in my inventory, anyone wanting one to let me know and I will make you a great deal. One is brand new and the other has a few break-in miles where I was trying to get my Blue Boy to perform on the road and around town. One is for the early 2.8 with the smaller cam journals and the other is for the later V6 with larger journals.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, these are cams for the 2.8 ford v6

Yes, Michael. They are for the FORD 2.8 V6 Cologne (FORD) engines.

One of the cams is for Early series 1974-'78 (small cam journals) and,

One cam is for the late Series 1983-85 (Ranger/Bronco II) larger cam journals.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
YUP, that cam has some over the top duration!(for the street) The rest of the specs are not so bad. Maybe not Wild, but wholly/rough and racy come to mind.

It should make the 6 think it's a 7, above a certain RPM...

Maybe a good candidate for a regrind.

DW