• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cam Profile Numbers

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ran across the card for my Pinto 2.0. It is an Engle "55", a turbo grind. The biggest difference between turbo grinds and NA grinds seems to be the Lobe Center. Turbo cams tend to be wider. Thought some of you might enjoy comparing it to the Ford stock cam. The Ford cam data is from David Vizard's "How to Modify Ford S.O.H.C. Engines".

The first number is for the Ford cam, second is the Engle cam.
Duration, off the seat 268 - 256
Lift .387" - .432"
Lobe centers 113* - 114*

From this, a person would think there is not much difference between the grinds. The stock cam even has more "duration"!.

But look at the .050" numbers:
Duration 202* - 223*
Intake opens 7* ATDC - 1*BTDC
Intake closes 33 ABDC - 42* ABDC
Ex opens 39*BBDC - 49* BBDC
Ex closes 13*BTDC - 6* BTDC

As you can see, at .050" the cams have nothing in common. Moral of the story, the "advertised" duration means nothing.

This cam is supposed to have a good idle and pull good to 6000. Time will tell. One thing I do know for sure, buying the cam from Engle was a real pleasure. They have a lot of grinds that are not in their catalog, this one one isn't. More or less told them I wanted a good street turbo grind. The price and delivery were outstanding.

I also got the impression they will grind anything you want, no guarantee as to performance!

Bill

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Turbo grinds are very mild for N/A applications.

The lobe centers are selected for less overlap, even though the lift and duration may be higher than stock.
Less overlap because the turbo will achieve the higher volumetric efficiency without employing resonance by not letting the boost out the exhaust valves during overlap. Bigger lift and duration so that when the intake is boosted, the valves get all the flow the engine needs.

Turbo cams in non-turbo apps will probably disappointing possibly even compared to stock.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jarrid, the way I read the numbers this cam has more overlap than stock. Seventeen degrees @.050", to be exact. Maybe I'm reading them bass-ackwards, would not be the first time.

In any event, I plan to find out a lot about this cam, at least as a NA vs. Turbo cam. Plans are to fire it up with the Holley 5200 as I know absolutely nothing about the Fish. After breakin, swap over to the Fish, dial it in as NA then go to Fish/turbo. After all that experience, I figure I should qualify for a PhD in something.

Ahh, the great unknown!
Bill