• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cam chain oiler

Derek

Donation Time
Should the cam chain oiler pipe be fixed or rotate ? mine is loose and is free to move about. This does not seem right but I have no clue and the WSM does not say, and the drawing looks as though it could go either way...

I had been hearing a rattling type of noise and thought it may be from the timing chain tensioner, so I pulled the cover and yep the tensioner is worn through and the blade was rubbing on the chain (the rubber was in 2 pieces).

I am also suffering from low oil pressure and will be pulling the pan and checking crankshaft end float and plasti-gauging the crank bearings, I hope I won't be pulling the engine as the car is running great but 20 psi is starting to scare me, starts at 40 and then just drops as the car warms up, things run best just before they blow up

Derek

mikephillips

Donation Time
Should not move about. The small pipe is retained by a compression fitting where it goes into the piece screwed to the block. Inside that is a small spring and ball to only allow oil in under higher pressures. If loose or if the spring/ball are broken or missing, could also account for lower pressure.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Derek, first and easiest think to check re Low Oil Pressure is the OPV, Oil Pressure Relief Valve. located on the filter base, facing outward. It takes a 13/16" socket to remove. Can be removed without removing the filter.

But also note that 20 PSI at Idle is fine. But if you don't get 35 or so at 3000RPM, something is wrong.

Here's a photo of my OPV when it was stuck open :
View attachment 3696

Tom

Last edited: