• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

California CARB survey

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well I replied to the survey. Although I wanted to not be part of the problem I'd rather be part of a solution.

That said you all not in state's that have the *#$& ing Hayes device's. It's a vapor recovery system that recovers or attempts to capture the atomized fuel when dispensing.
These don't work on our cars and may older ones. Too bad the fact that outlet pressure effects the amount vaporized.
But back to the survey questions.

I don't use Stabil unless I can think ahead in the power equipment. But I do use it in stored fuel.

I do garage the cars and keep the evap canister on my motorcycle, only because the garage smells less. On the Sunbeam I use a plumbing Oatey 1.5" cap to prevent evaporation and moisture intrusion.

I thank the responders to this thread . Especially the reminder that it's almost always harder to step up than out...

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
On the Sunbeam I use a plumbing Oatey 1.5" cap to prevent evaporation and moisture intrusion.
That is a really interesting idea for those of us who can rarely drive our cars in the winter. I do use Stabile over the winter and bundle up and go out for periodic drives on nice days when there is no salt on the roads, but it doesn't seem like it would hurt to use a non-vented cap in-between, as well.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's a little embarrassing in a picture but the filler neck is the same exact size. It'd be nice to have a custom one spun up as the gas cap must be left ajar.

If there was a inner cap with a closeable vent it could also be an anti theft device.

I had several old motorcycles and they all had vented caps and the smell in the garage was really strong. I started with a plastic bag under the cap and went to leaving the cap off and a rubber band and a plastic bag. Bikes have a float bowl drain and a fuel petcock. Sure it's aggravating to switch the fuel pump off and idle and trickle the pedal as you drive up to the garage. But it's better than evaporating a 4bbl full of gas in a closed garage and hearing go away you stink like that garage... ,,

Attachments

• PXL_20230818_195930835.jpg
    PXL_20230818_195930835.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Still a topic of discussion...
But feel free to do a no. 2 in San Francisco. But don't bring your old car here...

mikephillips

Donation Time
Might very well be going up with the way prices of new cars are skyrocketing You see programs like MotorWeek where they will call a price in the 40s, 50s and higher as good values. And there are pickup trucks pushing into the 6 digit price range.