• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Burl walnut dash, option 2

miket

Donation Time
I don't want to take anything away from Eric's thread. His dash looks magnificant. But A little rich for my budget.

I'm seriouly considering laminating a Formia product to my Alpine dash. the product is called chestnut burl # `1136-90. The samples look terrific. Apparently a few coats of clear make it look even better.

Has anyone seen this done. If so, how did it look?

Mike

Duke

Donation Time
I don't want to take anything away from Eric's thread. His dash looks magnificant.

The picture in that thread is mine which was made by Prestige Autowood in CA, not Eric.

His price is very good for the amount of work to make a quality dash. You'll see.

miket

Donation Time
Sorry about that Duke.

I have no doubt regarding the quality of the work. I'm sure that it is second to none.

I raised this thread as a discussion on a less expensive option. I've also considered making my own, but although I have plenty of experience doing renovations, I have next to no experience with furniture and the various finishing techniques.

By the way, I purchaed a roll of walnut burl vinyl on ebay last winter. That product , simply put , is crap.

Mike

serIIalpine

Donation Time
There are high end laminates that look quite good, no doubt, and I'm sure they would hold up quite well as they are after all just plastic. And while money is an issue for me as well, that's why I want to make several at a time to streamline the process, the difference is that between a 70s-80s jaguar dash and a GM product of the same vintage.

Just a thought.

Eric

'62 SerII

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
There is a very good article on dash restoration on the Tigers United website. Anyone considering a wood dash should read it. I used the methods discussed in this article to put a wood overlay on my black plastic Alpine dash - I was very pleased with the end result. Out of pocket cost was less than $75.00.

Best of luck to all with whichever path you choose!