• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"Bunch of Bananas" Tubular Manifold Colour?

ALC 68A

Donation Time
I am restoring one of these for my Series 3. It was all-over rust, and I have cleaned it back to bare metal, but don't know what colour to repaint it. I'm thinking either black or silver, but does anyone know what colour these were originally please? Thanks.

Steve

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Jan

Thanks. When cleag off the rust, I thought I saw relics of black paint, but couldn't decide if they were original.

Steve

Limey

Donation Time
No doubt supplied painted black. But not meant to last once fitted. Rust / oxidization was the in period look.

65beam

Donation Time
color

a place like jethot eliminates the rust problem or stainless also solves the problem. they just need cleaned. i don't know of anyone in the states that still sells a mild steel exhaust for alpines.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
I did consider the stainless steel replica, but cost (£283 inc taxes in UK, equivalent to over $440 in USA) plus the fact I already had an original mild steel version that is restorable decided it for me. The stainless versions also don't have the "ears" on the end pipes for the "T" clamps that locate the twin Zenith inlet manifold, so I would have to get a welder to fabricate these and weld them on, adding further to the cost. I think that with a coating of VHT paint to protect it, and the low mileage that the car does, the restored mild steel manifold should last more or less indefinitely.

Steve