• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Broken leaf spring

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
So i am ridding along enjoying myself when i feel this funny little pop then a few seconds latter a jult like i hit a bump but never did...and feel the car sorta leaning to one side slightly...

Concerned i pulled off and took a look and it was a busted leaf spring...it seems to have broken midway between the front mount and axial...

Lucky its the weekend and ill have time to address it..Its my every day driver so im about getting it back together fast...Looks like ill be using the motorcycle for a bit...

my question is? is welding a feasible temporary fix?..
I have a mig welder and am quite handy with it...

And if any one knows or has any springs perhaps i may purchase some..

cheers

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
DO NOT weld it....replace it. Welding will not survive everyday use and it will just break again. There are spring shops that can duplicate the spring but then you'll have one leaf stronger than the rest of them.....more problems down the road. A lot of the forum guys have parts cars or stashes of parts and have complete springs and somebody should chime in. To have new leaf springs made would be absurdly expensive. Check with some of the Sunbeam suppliers for springs. I have not been in the market for springs and do not know if they sell them or not. Just my 2 centavos.......good luck.

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
Did the weld and getting some new ones

DO NOT weld it....replace it. Welding will not survive everyday use and it will just break again. There are spring shops that can duplicate the spring but then you'll have one leaf stronger than the rest of them.....more problems down the road. A lot of the forum guys have parts cars or stashes of parts and have complete springs and somebody should chime in. To have new leaf springs made would be absurdly expensive. Check with some of the Sunbeam suppliers for springs. I have not been in the market for springs and do not know if they sell them or not. Just my 2 centavos.......good luck.

Yea thanks Cactus
I actually watched a pile of youtube vids on welding them and tried it anyway just to see how things worked out . Seems the weld will end up mild steel and not spring steel and be softer and most likely brake again after some time..To have this work i would have to reheat it drop it all in oil and anneal it again..WHo has a furnace that large?

....But till i can get all the parts together i seem to be able to drive it fine....I thought what the heck ill replace them soon so even if i got the one leaf made i could get two made and change them both out as it is the bushings are shot too..(probably why it broke) all the side flexing and all.. at least i changed the bushings for now.

So some good Luck! Volvoguys chimed in and he has some for me very reasonable other then i fear shipping will be a bit high...

Anyway thanks fo your advice...so far so good...After the double weld i attached a shackle to the broken area to hold it if it brakes again....
Even with the brake i was able to drive the car safely abut a little saggy pants to one side about an inch..

Cheers
Chaz

alpine_64

Donation Time
Chaz,

There was a thread not long ago about leaf springs, a discussion on the rubber buttons and chamfering the leadind edges of the springs so they slide easier.

Also iirc someone had sone Teflon buttons made a while back. If you are going to install new springs might be worth reading up on some tips to make them last longer and ride better.

agmason54

Donation Time
Chazeroo
I have had broken leaf springs and just replaced the broken leaf.Sll has unique springs to Sll.Sl has unique springs to Sl ...Slll-Vwill interchange and are identical.I have Sll complete sgrings...
Agm

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Chazeroo
I have had broken leaf springs and just relaced the broken leaf.
Agm
Really? I'm surprised. I figured you would tie an apple tree branch onto the broken leaf, using the plastic stuff used to hold a six pack together. Then heat shrink it in place using peppers from the Cantina.

Bill

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
tried that

Really? I'm surprised. I figured you would tie an apple tree branch onto the broken leaf, using the plastic stuff used to hold a six pack together. Then heat shrink it in place using peppers from the Cantina.

Bill

I tried that rout but got hungry first and put the peppers on my burrito...so things didn't quite work out...OH well...

Bill wins this weeks sarcastic award...lol

chaz

Last edited:

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
Chaz,

There was a thread not long ago about leaf springs, a discussion on the rubber buttons and chamfering the leadind edges of the springs so they slide easier.

Also iirc someone had sone Teflon buttons made a while back. If you are going to install new springs might be worth reading up on some tips to make them last longer and ride better.

Thanks! Yea i noticed those rubber buttons on each leaf... after inspecting the whole bundle it looks like they slide away on each other...The car always had a comfortable bounce.. With the Armstrong shocks topped off things ride well.. some say lube them too so things move free...

I have some train tracks down the road that is a pretty mess of bumps if i get past that gauntlet Ill figure im good for a wile till i get some new springs...

One thing i noticed when inspecting the crack was there was a rusty part like it had a crack already for quite some time before it let go...

Some of the people that welded springs said if done right it can hold for a very long time. I also welded on a button on top of the weld as an added strength thing being that part of the spring is on top and grinned the bottom smooth... I didn't take the entire bundle apart i just took off the shackle clamps and turned the springs at the center bolt to get to the bottom side..

We shall see how she holds...But having a new set of springs on hand will make me feel better...

Cheers guys