• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

British Car Union Festival (Chicago area show)

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
We made a quick stop by the British Car Union's Festival last weekend.

Met Jeff Scoville and Tom Wiencek there, as well as SAOCA charter member Bill Kernan. We arrived too late to enter Sunbby, maybe next year.

Here's some pics of the smattering of 'Beams, 3 Alpines and 3 Tigers amidst a sea of MG's and Triumphs, as well as Healey's, Jags etc. Some really nice old (and expensive) stuff. Ann Marie likes bug-eyes so we had to take some photos of those as well. Took a few pics of Jeff's very slick Alpine, complete with shaved door handles, dual Del-Orto's, etc... Pretty slick looking, Jeff. I hope you don't mind me posting them.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/566...freshPhotos&albumID=566612038&security=uvJwab

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Are We Orphans?

Actually, Thanks Todd.
I lost my original "photo host" and haven't taken the time to sign up with a new one to make an album of the whole project as it went, and I don't think any had seen pictures of it so close to being completed.
A few folks must have liked the car as I gave out some 75 buisiness cards.
I also have about 8 persons wanting me to fabricate a stainless steel dash for thier cars, I guess they thought that was pretty cool. I recived countless coments on how many things I had done to change the car from being "original", to "custom" and yet completely retained the original looks and shape of the car from 10 or so feet away.

On the other hand, I felt shunned by the other Alpine/Tiger owners. Most of them I think, never even gave the car a close look, let alone were sociable. This was most dissapointng though due to the fact that as each of them arrived,(I was there before all but one), I went to them, introduced myself and checked out their cars chatted for a few minutes. As I understand it, they have all known each other for years, so it pretty much left me feeling like an intruder.

On Another note, I thought that at one time there was a chapter which included us folks from Illinois, In fact from what I understood, Tom Weincek was the chapter president. What's the deal?

It would be nice to try and organize something, I'd love to schedule at least a quarterly meeting and possibly some occasional cruise days here or there.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Looking for a response

:confused:
On Another note, I thought that at one time there was a chapter which included us folks from Illinois, In fact from what I understood, Tom Weincek was the chapter president. What's the deal?

It would be nice to try and organize something, I'd love to schedule at least a quarterly meeting and possibly some occasional cruise days here or there.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
The lack of response my be partly due to the forum topic I originally picked for this thread, I noticed it didn't get many views. I think it may be buried a little bit.

I'd love to have a Chicagoland chapter going. I'm a little hesitant to volunteer for stuff like chapter prez; partly because I sign myself up for too many things, but mostly because I know I'm too lazy to be reliable. I certainly would be up for quarterly gatherings and such. I really enjoyed our impromptu meeting with Owain in 2007.

I'm disappointed that you felt shunned by the other Sunbeam guys. I talked to Bill Kernan quite a bit, he seemed pretty nice. He stopped by to look at our car, even though we were parked outside the show. Maybe his interests in racing (SCCA) don't really jive with you're hot rodding. I know Tom was there looking at your car. He and his son? seemed much more interested in your work than the other 'Beams. I didn't speak to any of the Tiger owners or the one other Alpine. I thought maybe it was because we just arrived too late and people weren't around or wrapping up; but I didn't really feel welcomed either. Not that I actually approached anyone, just sort of a vibe, if you know what I mean. I'm disappointed because there were only 3 Tigers and 3 Alpines, how can you afford to shun anyone?