• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brian's 4.0 V6 Alpine

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Brian built this car back in the '90's and it really blew me away. Mutt II front suspension, Ranger 4.0 and the nicest (read unobtrusive) ground effects and fender flares you could imagine. At one point I was seriously considering going the same route, but as my sheet metal talents either suck or are non existent (depending on the day and the job at hand), I went with the Pinto 2.0.

At any rate, Brian dropped out of sight at about the time the car was in primer and recently re-emerged. I have been in contact with him and he has sent me a You Tube of his car.

Take a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uRyQZSiAhM
Good job Brian!

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Bill
Loved the presentation of Brian's car.I had to go and check my stripes as he did them the same as mine.Nice engine installation.

I have to check the gas mileage of the 62 one of these days.Oh well I'll just fill it up when it needs.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was considering using the same Mustang wheels. Did he widen the track of the car to fill the flairs or did he add the flairs because the wheels hung out too much?

kmathis

Donation Time
Wow! Very nice car and a guy with a lot of talent; I sure would like a narrative of what needed to be done to get all of that to fit in such a tight spot. Very, very nice.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Way back when, Ian published an on line club newsletter and one issue featured Brian's car. They were archived and available for quite a few years, but I can no longer find them. That is where I learned everything I know about the car. Brian is going to have to come forward with more details unless someone knows how to access the archives.

BTW, this newsletter predates the Marque and the two should not be confused. I would guess the material I have in mind was "published" in 98 or 99.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another FORD 4.0 V6

Now how about that:D

HAVEN'T GOTTEN INTO THE VIDEO OR OTHER YET,

But.....

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, this is what I have on Brian:
hlheitman at telus.net

That address is from 2011. If it is no good, I have no further leads. As I stated, he dropped out of sight for several years and reappeared on SAOCA in 2011. It must have been for a very few posts and I have no idea what his "handle" might be. I do remember I was excited to see his post, contacted him and he responded with the You tube link, but that's about it.

Bill

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I sent out an E-mail again yesterday and Brian is doing fine with several other projects behind him. His response about his Alpine powered by the 4.0 V6 and all the work accomplished is as follows:

Quote:
Hello tiger dan,nice to hear from other sunbeam owners about their cars. The swap I did was to use a 78 pinto front end, i cleaned it up to get rid of extra sheet metal and then fabricated 3 in by 10 in plates for both sides and welded in place to make two surfaces to mate with the existing 4 bolt holes that held the old front end in place. I used the original bolts to secure it to the frame this way you can install shims to set the front end alignment to specs. I used the two trailing arm supports as well by welding bracket to the frame. This gives you disc brake options and power steering for the mustang II front end worked really slick. The motor and trans are out of a 1995 ford ranger they used the same engine in the explorer but a larger trans,use the hydraulic clutch assembly as it worked great. in 1996 they went to an over head cam engine ,much larger, the 94 and 95 engines are roller cam and roller lifters 225 hp and last forever.I had to make a 3 inch recess into the firewall to clear drivers side cylinder head and move the master cylinder and clutch cylinder over 3 inches used the master cylinder off the pinto.I used the 8 in rear differential out of the pinto as well. If you get a pinto with a v-6 you get the power steering and 8 inch diff, I had to buy some "pony" fiberglass front springs to get the proper ride height. You seen the small scoop I had to fab to clear the fuel injection and be sure you get the fuel pump out of the ranger or explored as they run 80 psi , I mounted the pump into the drivers stock fuel tank by cutting the hole and hammering a groove to hold the O ring and installing 10 bolts to secure it in. Very convenient as I can change out the pump in 5 min. I used the steering column and fuse panel etc out of the pinto as well.I installed the 3 inch fender flares (all steel) because the front and rear ends are about 5 inches wider than stock, the ground effects and recessed license plate were just cool additions to make it unique.I finished the car in 2001 and I have 35000 miles on it, Just oil change every 3000 miles and ! new injector, put gas in it and drive, its a blast. I you shop around you can still find 74 to 78 pinto I actually used a 78 mercury bobcat station wagon that's why it needed different front springs it sat too high used the stock rear springs with gas shocks and then fabbed in two Harley Davidson adjustable coil over shocks set pass side firm and driver side medium to stop the torque from rubbing passenger rear tire worked great.I posted the build back in 2000 on the socca forum page if you can dig up the old site. Brian Unquote!

Thanks Brian for providing us with a detailed explanation of your Conversion Project. Looking to hear more from you:)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just watched the Video again...... Get's me really fired up to make sure my Red GT V6 gets finished ......