• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Breather Filter

Britboy

Donation Time
Page 35 of my Series V Owner's Handbook recommends I clean the "crankcase breather filter located on the engine tappet cover." I have seen nothing like this on any of the SVs I've looked at. Can someone enlighten me please.
As always, thanks.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Page 35 of my Series V Owner's Handbook recommends I clean the "crankcase breather filter located on the engine tappet cover." I have seen nothing like this on any of the SVs I've looked at. Can someone enlighten me please.
As always, thanks.

I think they are referring to the flame trap, it's the little metal cylinder that has the hoses to the tappet cover and oil filler connected to it, it's up near the oil filler mounted into the filler neck which the the rubber hose.

Britboy

Donation Time
Thanks Mike but on page 34 the handbook provides info on how to remove, clean and replace the flame trap. This is a different item on pg 35.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Interesting. Indeed it is there in the Owner's Handbook. But it is clearly an error. There is no filter there.

Tom

Britboy

Donation Time
Interesting. Indeed it is there in the Owner's Handbook. But it is clearly an error. There is no filter there.

Tom
I wonder if it might have applied to cars sold in Europe - where pollution control requirements were different from NA at the time?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's probably just a lack of providing updates in the wsm to follow revised systems and parts. I seem to remember someone posting a picture of a S3 engine with a filter attached to the tappet cover.

Just a thought.

pruyter

Donation Time
Indeed the breather was used on serie 3 Alpines, although not on all of them. Rootes started with the breather with B9204717 (Soft tops) and B9203887 (GT's) while only 5863 serie 3 were made.
Before that the side cover had a road tube and with the start of the series 4 it became the set up with the PCV valve.

Regards,

Peter