• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brakes

Doug

Donation Time
I have a 65 Mk4 that has become a long term restoration project. Mechanically, it's very close to being road worthy and I've had it out for short jaunts. But recently when I apply the brakes, the car pulls sharply to the right. The calipers appear to move freely and the rotors are smooth. When I redid the brakes 12 years ago, I used silicone fuild and I'm wondering if this could be causing the problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
See the same issue about 8-10 posts down.

My thoughts are that the flex hoses are too old and colapsing internally. But see all te otehr answers on that recent thread.

Tom

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I vote for sticking calipers. Especially 12 years after a rebuild. How can you tell they are working smoothly while still on the car? I've never had the problem, but it seems to me that collapsed hoses would act as a one way valve and prevent the calipers from retracting, not applying.

Bill

beamS3

Donation Time
I did have that problem which was corrected by replacing the hoses.

Guess it works that under pressure fluid is pumped to brakes, the collapsed line does not permit fluid on one side to return and release that brake; resulting in a steering pull to that side.

My bet anyways.

Good luck
Bob

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
And , as I noted on the earlier thread on the same subject, it is the easiest thing to try first. And ya need good hoses anyhow.

Tom

Jim E

Donation Time
Could be hoses, did you replace the caliper pistons when you did the brakes? I cheaped out on my very first caliper rebuild and reused the old pistons. They had some minor pitting and I think it cause the pistons to cock a little at times because the car would sometimes pull to one side if you braked hard.

BRZDAD67

Donation Time
Brake Fluid - DOT 5 or DOT 3

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of getting my S V on the road. I have just installed the Capri caliper on the front left and need to bleed the system. I have the manual and know the process, but need to know what type of fluid to use.

Any suggestions on mfg name and where I can get this product?

Need answers quickly. Thanks in advance for the help.

BRZDAD67

Call me if you can. 678-372-8478

Jamie