• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake Return Spring

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Something doesn't look right when installing some new break pads on my S1. One of the return springs doesn't seem to fit right.

The hook on the end of the spring will not hook in the hole like a regular hook, it's too long of distance from the edge of the spring to the hole.

If I turn the spring over it reaches the hole but it hooks weird. It's like the hook is backward.

See the pictures below. I hope they clear up my question.

Too far from hole.
Spring 2.jpg

Hook appears to be backward!
Spring 1.jpg

All comments appreciated!

Ken

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think WSM 124 is showing it oriented how you have it in the second picture.

upload_2022-2-9_20-54-43.png

Mike

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
AlsPine,

Any thought on the springs being on opposite sides in the WSM diagram versus your photo?

Mike

AlsPine

Donation Time
My Tiger was built this way and I reassembled the same way, as the spring would have rubbed on the adjuster.
The full spring cleared the wheel cylinder, and the spring with the gap cleared the bulge of the adjuster.MVC-888X.JPG

Last edited:

AlsPine

Donation Time
The Tiger rear end was out to change the gears from 3:31 to 3:07, so did the brakes at the same time. I document the work I do on the Tiger and Alpine. Thant's why I had this photo.
Don't auto cross much anymore, so went to the lower gear ratio.
Yes, it does have Positraction.

Last edited:

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Your second pic that you describe as backwards, is in fact the correct way to install that spring.As shown in AlsPine's pic.

AlsPine

Donation Time
The bulge on the adjuster is where the mounting studs are. It is a replacement adjuster I got from SS.
I can't remember if the original adjuster had the same bulge.
When I reassembled it seemed to be the correct place for the gaped spring.

AlsPine

Donation Time
If you were wondering, the carter pins were put in after the rear end was back in the car and the crown nut was torqued to specs.

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
If you were wondering, the carter pins were put in after the rear end was back in the car and the crown nut was torqued to specs.

Thank you all once again for you excellent comments. Als picture showed perfectly what I wanted to know.

I just laid out the springs on the bench for demonstration and yes they were backwards but it didn't matter it would look the same either way. When I put them in my car they will be correct, you can bank on that.

That is indeed a weird way to "hook" springs but I'm going with it.

Thanks again,

Ken

AlsPine

Donation Time
I think that the spring hooks are that way on the adjuster is to keep it from falling out if there is no tension on the spring from the adjuster being completely collapsed.
You can see that the spring is not stretched at all.

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
I think that the spring hooks are that way on the adjuster is to keep it from falling out if there is no tension on the spring from the adjuster being completely collapsed.
You can see that the spring is not stretched at all.
Good point!

I too have hundreds of photos of my Sunbeam as I took it apart over the last 30 years. Unfortunately that's not one I took but should have.

Thanks again for the search effort, it's much appreciated!

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
While we're on the subject of "Return Springs" is there any magical way to install the springs. They seem to be more than I can pull into place.

Someone suggested putting them on the brake shoes first and then "popping" them into place.

I'm open to any ideas that will make this effort a little easier.

Thanks,

Ken

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Ken, I generally put the springs onto the shoes then pull the shoes apart and fit them into position. If you are doing additional work (hub or bearing change for instance) and have to take the back plate off, you can build up the brakes on the bench and then fit them onto the car already in position. Here is a picture of a Series V back plate with the shoes in position before fitting to the axle.
Tim R

P1120314.JPG

P1120364.JPG

mikephillips

Donation Time
Plus if you're doing it with the rear out of the car or the backing plates off on the bench, it's a whole lot easier to get the retaining clips for the wheel cylinder on since the leaf spring and other bits aren't in the way and you can actually see what you're doing.

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Plus if you're doing it with the rear out of the car or the backing plates off on the bench, it's a whole lot easier to get the retaining clips for the wheel cylinder on since the leaf spring and other bits aren't in the way and you can actually see what you're doing.
Right you are but since I didn't take the backing plates off this worked but thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps if there's a next time, Heaven forbid!

mikephillips

Donation Time
Well, that was as much for anyone else who might read this too since most of us are not long term owners who've been on their back saying unkind things to a clip you're trying to install where you can't see it and access is limited. Ask me how I know what a pain that is...