• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake Pedal

Steeman01

Donation Time
Hey Everyone. So I bought my SV project with the brake pedal and master cylinder removed from the car . Does anyone have a good diagram of the pedal installation? I see that there are threads in the top hole of the pedal bracket that also would be the same bolt for the master cylinder to attach on the other side of the firewall. Is that an extremely long threaded bolt? Any help is appreciated!!

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yeah, there's three bolts, two of them hold the pedal and the third hold the master. It's the top two bolts that fasten the pedal. 5/16-24 bolt...I'm not sure what the length is, surely about 2" length or longer.
Jan

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
As Jan stated 5/16-24 and from 2" to 3 1/4" depending on the spacer (s) you will need.

AS an added note: Use grade 8

Steeman01

Donation Time
Thanks everybody for the comments so far. Does anyone have a photo or could take a photo of what the setup is for the bolts and the engine bay for the master cylinder on the brakes? Does the top bolt that goes into the pedal come from the engine bay the firewall?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Right, the very top bolt goes in the top of the pedal mount; The 2nd bolt down goes in the pedal and also the master cyl; The 3rd bolt down goes into the master only. So the bolts must be different lengths and it's helpful to have a helper to get that first bolt threaded
Jan

Steeman01

Donation Time
Thanks @jumpinjan ! Last bit, does the top bolt go in from the firewall side? I hope so, given that I can't even access that hole from inside the cab! Figure it does, but don't want to assume!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Mine go in from inside the Alpine (top and bottom), just takes a lot of patience:)
This is a job. where a helper really helps. Absent that, I generally hold the bolt (inside the cabin, as Dan notes) with a needle nose Vice Grip. As I recall, small or medium Vice Grip will fit inside the pedal mounts, too.

mikephillips

Donation Time
ok, so since the question hasn't really been completely answered, the top bolt for the pedal assembly goes in from the engine compartment side. You should see a tube sticking out right beside where the fender brace mounts to the firewall. That bolt goes into the top of the pedal bracket. The one above the large hole for the master goes through the bottom of the bracket and through the top of the master and spacer. The bottom one goes through the master and spacer. Both bottom ones mount from the inside.

To install the top one I've put a temporary bolt through the bottom of the bracket then run the bolt through the top, that way one person can do it if necessary. Then remove the temporary bolt and slide in the master. You can put the bolts through then from the engine side twist the master slightly to pinch the bolts so they won't turn as you install lock washers and nuts. I then put a box end over the nuts and use a ratchet with socket to tighten them from the footwell side. Takes a bit of moving back and forth but if you're by yourself the process works.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
ok, so since the question hasn't really been completely answered, the top bolt for the pedal assembly goes in from the engine compartment side. You should see a tube sticking out right beside where the fender brace mounts to the firewall. That bolt goes into the top of the pedal bracket. The one above the large hole for the master goes through the bottom of the bracket and through the top of the master and spacer. The bottom one goes through the master and spacer. Both bottom ones mount from the inside.

To install the top one I've put a temporary bolt through the bottom of the bracket then run the bolt through the top, that way one person can do it if necessary. Then remove the temporary bolt and slide in the master. You can put the bolts through then from the engine side twist the master slightly to pinch the bolts so they won't turn as you install lock washers and nuts. I then put a box end over the nuts and use a ratchet with socket to tighten them from the footwell side. Takes a bit of moving back and forth but if you're by yourself the process works.
All this info is correct however I never use lock washers just a plain washer and a plain nut and you can tighten them from the engine side friction eventually wins out!