• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake Fluid Warning Light

Nickodell

Donation Time
This is a project I have been toying with for some 20 years. Next to losing steering, nothing is more dangerous than a sudden loss of braking, and cars like our beloved 'pines are liable to this through loss of hydraulic fluid at any time, either because of a fluid leak or by its being ingested by the vacuum booster.

Many of us have experienced that cold clutch to the heart when the pedal goes to the floor without having any retardation on the vehicle. I've had it twice, first on my wife's Volvo P1800 and some years ago on Matilda (both using the same booster.) Luckily, both instances were on starting up and backing the car out of the garage, so no accident.

Some members have overcome this problem by installing a dual master cylinder, which is OK but doesn't totally prevent the possibility of an accident as in the case of a leak it leaves only half of the braking power. What was needed, I thought, was an automatic warning light that would illuminate whenever the fluid in the reservoir dropped more than, say, half an inch.

I am glad to say that the O'Dell Mk.1 Low Brake Fluid Warning System is finally installed and working. Being a generous sort of chap, I offer this to the Alpine world free of charge. It is applicable to the Series V, or others using the same plastic reservoir and cap, but may be adaptable to earlier models.

It was clear that some sort of switch and float would be needed, and I recalled that my Jaguar had a neat circular plunger switch that sat atop its reservoir cap. The part was obtained from the local Jag dealer, but then I encountered the first snag; there was less than 1/4" clearance between the top of the cap and the bonnet, and the switch and plunger spindle needed at least 1 1/4" clearance. I relocated the reservoir from its original location on the firewall to a new position 1 1/2" lower, attaching it with a bracket to the body/firewall brace. Using some soft copper wire I made a pattern for the local machine shop to make up a new pipe from reservoir to master cylinder.

The other requirement was a float to actuate the switch plunger, and I was stumped at first to come up with something that would a) float; b) be just the right diameter to fit into the reservoir; and c) be impervious to brake fluid.

I found that the bottom cut from a plastic bottle fit all three requirements. Hey, don't laugh; it fits, it floats (upside down, so that the trapped air gives it bouyancy), and it's made from high density polyethylene, as shown by the recyclable logo HDPE cast into the bottom. This is the same plastic as the cans Castrol brake fluid comes in.

So here is the finished float and switch:

Sunbeam001.jpg

The switch is wired to a large red warning light in my home-made walnut instrument panel. Warning lights are worse than useless, of course, if they are inoperative because of a wiring fault or blown bulb, but you can test the system by simply pressing down on the part of the plunger spindle that protrudes above the top of the switch. I thought of installing a warning buzzer too, but the lamp is so large and bright that it is not necessary:

Sunbeam002.jpg

So there it is. If anyone wants more details, give me a PM.

65beam

Donation Time
brake warning light

nick,
chrysler/ rootes did this when they stopped production of the series alpines and started building the fastbacks. they installed dual brake masters on them and hooked the brake lines coming off the master to a block on the firewall. the lines to the wheels came out the other side of this block. the line for the front brakes came off and went to the booster and from the booster to only the front wheels. the other line went to a junction on top of the rearend housing and to the rear brakes. the block contained a self centering valve if the pressure from both sides of the master remained equal.if one side of the master started to fail and the pressure drops,the valve shifts and it turns on the brake warning light on the instrument panel.

Nickodell

Donation Time
True, but I don't quite see the connection. I believe warning lights on dual systems have been pretty much standard on virtually all cars made for the past 40-some years. I was addressing our series Alpines.