• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake fluid disappearing!!??

Firebuff

Donation Time
So, I got my car ready for summer.. drove approximately 200-300 miles. Parked the car for a few days and boom.. brakes are gone. Refilled the empty reservoir.. and when pumping the brakes got air bubbles coming up. Brakes then returned. 3 days later.. reservoir empty again and brakes gone. No puddles anywhere.. where's it going.. into the drum? Someplace else..? Any thoughts before I just start tearing stuff apart my. Weather's to good for this.. Arrrrrrgh!!!

alpine_64

Donation Time
So, I got my car ready for summer.. drove approximately 200-300 miles. Parked the car for a few days and boom.. brakes are gone. Refilled the empty reservoir.. and when pumping the brakes got air bubbles coming up. Brakes then returned. 3 days later.. reservoir empty again and brakes gone. No puddles anywhere.. where's it going.. into the drum? Someplace else..? Any thoughts before I just start tearing stuff apart my. Weather's to good for this.. Arrrrrrgh!!!

More than likely pouring down the inside of the firewall behind the carpet and eatimg your paint.... But check the drums too.

PETER CLAYTON

Donation Time
Most likely cause if firewall/bulkhead is dry is the brake servo. The fluid can get sucked into the vacuum chamber and then into the inlet manifold,engine and out of the exhaust. Check vacuum pipe for fluid, it should be dry inside,also in bad cases smoking exhaust and oily deposit inside tailpipe.

Firebuff

Donation Time
Must be in the service.. since I don't really have any carpet and I would of seen that.. thanks. I'll check the service today and see what it's got..

Firebuff

Donation Time
So. Hypothetically.. wink wink.. if I m getting the nasty white exhaust what's my worst case.. I assume draining the oil.. flush.. replace. Is the brake servo done? Where would I find one for a S III?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's quite likely that fluid will accumulate in the large vacuum chamber and not get drawn into the engine. If it does get drawn into the engine it usually gets burned up and does not settle into the sump, not like a head gasket leak. Handy way to verify the issue and temporarily solve is to bypass the servo. Undo the short pipe from servo to brake tee, and move the brake line (that comes from the master) from the booster to the Tee. Then disconnect the vacuum line from the servo and plug the hose.

Tom

PETER CLAYTON

Donation Time
Tom's right in what he says, but remember when you disconnect the (service) servo that you will have to push VERY hard on the brake to stop.If you are going to replace the servo fit a later Lockheed unit. They are easier to find and usually cheaper.

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Confirming Peter's comment. Also note that you can have the existing servo rebuilt by White Post Restorations or Apple Hydraulics. Cost is about $500-600, I think.

Tom

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Girling servo repair kits are available on eBay. I have reconditioned mine a couple of times over the years - not a difficult job.