• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake drums

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
Where does one buy the rear brake drums for a Series 4? I have a guy offering to sell me some used drums, and thought I would check here to see where to buy new, so I could compare what he's asking in relation to a new price, but I did not see any offered by SS. How many miles will the drums last? I have about 68K miles on the car.

Thanks,

Sam

mikephillips

Donation Time
I don't believe anyone has new drums. But with 68k on yours, unless they'ev been used as flower pots or left in a pond or otherwise abused they should have many miles left on them. a skim should be all they need.

Jim in PA

Donation Time
It is always good to keep an eye on eBay for Alpine parts. Used brake drums are there frequently but who knows the condition. Most decent service shops could spin your original drums on a lathe or grinder to true and smooth the friction surface for many more years of service. I had my drums redone on a grind wheel set up at a Mercedes Benz dealer by a friend for free. I was surprised they had the stuff for drums. My drums had 108000 mi and were free of any major flaws that would prevent resurfacing or reuse.

agmason

Donation Time
Moss Motors sells brake drums for MG and Triumph but from what I've been told they will not work on Alpine/Tiger. I asked around the various lists hoping that the Alpine drums are common enough that a different make of car's drum would fit. As far as I can tell, nothing else will fit.

Paul woodie

Donation Time
The thing I found with old drums is that they have been cut to many times, and the brake shoes are thiner then OEM shoes. So the brake shoes have to move farther then they should . So you will have to pull the E brake out farther and the brake adjuster will be turned in farther to get good brakes. (early cars ) I have had this happin with my S1 . I do not know anything about self adj. brakes , maybe they reach farther! I have a set of drums that have been cut (I think ) 3 times . I had a lot of adjustment problem with them . The set I have on the car now , have been cut once , and have no problems with them .