• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bonnet release problem

Britboy

Donation Time
There are of course two latches associated with the one release cable; the primary and the "safety" latch. The main latch releases when the release handle is pulled and up pops the bonnet. Pulling the release handle further releases the secondary latch but the bonnet does not pop up any further. To raise the bonnet one has to pull the handle all the way out with one hand and with the other hand reach around the windscreen and try to get the bonnet up high enough to pass the safety latch. This requires some contortion with which younger drivers may find no difficulties. Is this the way it is supposed to be or are there perhaps some additional springs, that would raise the bonnet higher, missing?
As always, any help is much appreciated.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've experienced the same situation at times:(

Seems that at times I get mine to work flawlessly, then something goes haywire and I have to do the two hand long exercise;)

I believe there is a written adjustment some where perhaps a Service Bulletin or maybe it was in the Pamphlet form the UK I bought. Will look and see for you,

DanR

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Ditto on the problem.

+ my solution- cut off the second latch. I did this years ago and have never looked back. On the road, the bonnet cannot come up due to air pressure.

The secondary latch is common on bonnets that could blow open at road speeds, but not needed on the Alpine.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Britboy ...Before cutting that safety latch off there are adjustments(the spring height,etc.) you can make to them so it works properly. That was my first approach and it's solved the issue with all my cars. FWIW ... 57 Fords had the reverse style hoods and used a similar safety latch it was positioned inboard at the center of the fender and never had this issue. With this style hood and no springs on the hood hinges you really don't need this safety feature, unless you drive in reverse at road speeds:eek:

.... David

*** also check for excessively worn parts @ the contact points!

Last edited:

tom o

Donation Time
on my s5, when I pull the hood latch the hood pops up to the safety latch and when I release the handle it releases the safety latch. I don't know if this is stock, but it has worked every time so far.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Ditto on the problem.

... On the road, the bonnet cannot come up due to air pressure.

The secondary latch is common on bonnets that could blow open at road speeds, but not needed on the Alpine.

At 60 mph the bonnet will lift 6 - 8 inches. Not that big a deal, won't destroy windshield, couling and whatever. It is irritating and limits your view of the road. Ask me how I know.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
It has been a while. I will have to go and inspect it to see if I can recall. I seem to remember that where the safety latch rests into the metal, a little hole has been worn, and it gets deeper and deeper. By filling it a little, when you pull on the release, the bonnet can pop high enough to clear. I don't recall if that is right. I'm totally ok if someone shows why this is wrong.

I do know that there are different safety latches. Some are longer and some have more rounded cut outs that might help.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I also had the same problem, with my Series V, but if I remember correctly, I just took the latch apart and removed the safety latch. No cutting involved, and if needed it can be put back on real easily. All I know is that it sure works nice without the safety latch.