• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bolting A4LD to engine

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
What is the proceedure? I slid the bell housing to within about 1" of the engine. Rotated the engine while lifting and pushing on the tranny. Slid on another 1/2" (or so). Additional pushing while turning the engine over got the gap down to about 1/8". Cannot get it any closer. Is it okay to start the bolt tightening process, or should the bell housing/engine gap zero before tightening bolts?

Does Ford use a spacer between the engine and bell housing? A 1/8" spacer might cure my problem.
Bill

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are you sure the torque converter was fully seated? No expert, but from reading in prep for putting my c4 back on the motor, that seems to be a major cause of things not coming together flush.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Pretty sure I got the torque convertor seated. I found a Ford service manual that had instructions on installing the tranny. The TC seats in a two step fashion and that is what I did. That left the 1/8" gap. Interesting that the manual did not mention a block plate!

Now I'm off to make a block plate. Luckily, I have a sheet of pretty hard aluminum. Should work just fine.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The aluminum was a gift from friend and is being re-purposed. Read that it is old and lived an interesting life. That is a polite way of say that I followed the wrong scratch mark while sawing out the plate. So I have a super deluxe two piece block plate! It will work just fine.
One more baby step of a thousand mile journey.

Bill