• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Body Panels - who makes the best anymore?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's come time to refresh my Alpine - the original Carnival Red paint is pretty shot now and my hard top will need a repaint, too. Although my Alpine's body is almost entirely rust free, I do have some bubbling beginning on the right front lower wing, so I'll probably cut it and replace that panel section.

So... the question is, who makes the best panels nowadays? Rob Martel used to be the best (I believe), but who is now making them? Are all the UK and US vendors selling panels from all one source, or are there different makers? And if so, who makes the ones that fit best?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Kevin, the panels come from different sources.

Depending what you need might also guide you to a vendor as they offer different parts

Stateside Randy Willett has well regarded parts.. and Curt and Sunbeam Specialties offer some panels.

Chris Lunn as mentioned does great floors , I'm not sure of all his stock.

Jeff Haworth has very accurate panels out of the UK and ships quickly and easily.

When you say some bubbling....how bad? If these are small coin sized areas maybe it's better to cut them out and do small patch panels rather than remove a factory spot welded part?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, Michael. The bubbling has gone to where there’s some major flaking chunks, so I think it would be hard to patch the holes. Plus, it’s the only rust on the car, so I think a new panel, with a good investigation and possible repair of what’s behind it, makes the most sense.

I responded to Chris via PM a while back, based upon comments here, so he’s sending me a panel. The UK supplier(s) was also an option, but the shipping likely would have taken a lot longer.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thanks, Michael. The bubbling has gone to where there’s some major flaking chunks, so I think it would be hard to patch the holes. Plus, it’s the only rust on the car, so I think a new panel, with a good investigation and possible repair of what’s behind it, makes the most sense.

I responded to Chris via PM a while back, based upon comments here, so he’s sending me a panel. The UK supplier(s) was also an option, but the shipping likely would have taken a lot longer.
Sorry for the slow reply...had only seen the thread today .. was travelling when you posted originally