• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Blower Motor

chimpodunker

Donation Time
My blower motor will not shut off. I've double checked the wire connections at the switch. It's a two speed bower and it does change speeds at the switch, but when it should be off the blower is still turning. I've even tried a different switch.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
My blower motor will not shut off. I've double checked the wire connections at the switch. It's a two speed bower and it does change speeds at the switch, but when it should be off the blower is still turning. I've even tried a different switch.
Do you have the resistor on the blower? If I remember early cars were single speed blowers later had a resistor to make it two speed

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
" the wires appear to be attached correctly.". What makes you think they are wired correctly? What are you comparing to? I have not been able to find any info in the WSM that would show the correct pins on the switch to use. If you disconnect all the wires from the switch, does the blower still continue to run? If so there is a short somewhere in the wires. If the bower does not run with the switch disconnected then you know the switch is bad or miswired.

BTW, whenever posting a question it's a good idea to tell us what Series Alpine you are working on.

Tom

Last edited:

chimpodunker

Donation Time
I rewired the car over the last winter and with Paul's help got it done. He gave me details showing the wiring at the switch. The blower wiring remained original with the ballast resistor and the two wires going to the switch. When I put the dash back in, the blower wouldn't work. I just got done troubleshooting and found one of the two wires from the blower motor had come loose. One of these wires is a ground and the other goes to one end of the resistor. I reattached the wire to the resistor.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I post this incase it might help you.

These are the notes that I refer to when wiring Alpines. We rewire our cars negative earth with 3 fuse boxes and multiple fuses but the connections and way that each part of the electrical the system works is unchanged.

Tim R

In Car Blower fan

(Note: Switch position numbers are moulded onto the switch beside each terminal. They are tiny and difficult to see)

Switch Position 4

Green wire from Ignition Switched Fusebox 3 (Ignition switch position 4 - fuse 2)

Switch position 6

Black/Green wire to Blower Motor resistor (Low speed)

Switch Position 7

Brown/Yellow wire to Blower Motor (High Speed)

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Correction to my post. I see that WSM 145 ( for a Series V) does cover blower wiring in section R3. There is a dwg on page R3-2 ( page 456 of this link) :
http://wavelen.com/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=sunbeam:wsm145_rootes_light_car_range_1725cc.pdf

And two pages later it says :
When reconnecting the blower, connect the green cable to terminal 6 on the switch, the brown cable to terminal 8 and the supply cable (also green) to terminal 4.

This agrees with Tim's comment above. BTW I still do not know for sure what Series Alpine you are working on.

One more comment:
Just to be sure you understand, reading part of your last post is a bit confused:
"I ... found one of the two wires from the blower motor had come loose. One of these wires is a ground and the other goes to one end of the resistor. I reattached the wire to the resistor".

Of the two wires, enclosed in the plastic sleeve, coming from the blower, neither one is ground. One (High speed wire) goes directly to the motor and one (Low speed wire) goes to the resistor, which reduces the power fed to the motor. The ground wire is a separate black wire that attaches to the chassis right where the blower motor mounting bracket is bolted to the chassis. You can see that wire in the dwg referenced above. I think you did connect the wire correctly to the resistor, though.

Tom

Last edited:

chimpodunker

Donation Time
Tim, your wiring details differed slightly from what I was given in my Rebel kit. By changing one wire at the switch, everything now works like it should. Thanks everyone. This is such a great helpful site