• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

bleeding the bloody clutch

conanhomer

Donation Time
i hope someone has a trick to make my clutch maintain it's pressure.
i am using a Wilwood master and slave.
i follow the standard pump and bleed procedure and get good pressure for about 2 days, then lose the clutch again. the cylinders are showing no leakage

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you're loosing pressure after 2 days, you've either got a leak in the line or the master or you haven't
got all the air out when you bleed. I've had them ( stock set up) that wouldn't bleed for anything. All
the pumping ( and swearing at it) didn't do anything. I've had good luck just letting it sit with the cap
of the master off, sometimes over night, and they kind of bleed themselves.

You might have an internal clutch master or slave leak and I'd look into them if nothing else works.

Cheers!
Steve

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
When you loose pressure, what do you do to get it back? The answer is a tip off as to the solution to the problem.

Bill

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
The biggest problem I have had bleeding Alpine clutches had to do with slave cylinder pistons RETRACTING

as you let up on the peddle.

To keep that to a minimum, I try to use only the top 1/3 of peddle travel, when bleeding.

BUT, that is with OEM type masters, I have not delt with Alpines with non OEM after market masters.

Could it be that somehow the slave piston is retracting after time?

Can you pump up the peddle after it goes away?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
i hope someone has a trick to make my clutch maintain it's pressure.
i am using a Wilwood master and slave.
i follow the standard pump and bleed procedure and get good pressure for about 2 days, then lose the clutch again. the cylinders are showing no leakage

Is your bleed valve HIGHER on the slave cylinder than the fluid feed line?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bench bleed the master first.
^^ THIS. ^^

Or, get a pressure bleeder, like an Eezibleed, and use low pressure air to push fluid through the entire system. The Eezibleed works very well and will bleed both the master and the slave in one shot. Works nicely on brakes, too, of course. Comes with caps that fit most Girling and Lockheed systems, and cap kits are available to fit a wider range.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't see how an air bubble can cause day to day variation in the amount of pressure developed by the MC. All of this sounds like a Snipe Hunt.
Bill

conanhomer

Donation Time
i agree. it is a snipe hunt. i did bleed the master initially and the bleed screw is on the top of the slave. i borrowed a power bleeder from a mechanic friend, but havwe to find an adapter to size down to my bleeder.