• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Best place for parts?

Jon'67Alpine

Donation Time
I just purchased a '67 Alpine that has been stored for the last 20 years. I plan to restore the car, but I'm having a hard time locating parts. I went to the local auto parts store and the guy behind the counter practically laughed at me. Any suggestions would be very helpful and greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hello Jon,

Welcome to the world of Sunbeams. Going to your local parts store can be helpful but they typically will not know what can be used on these cars. There are a couple of Sunbeam parts houses here in the states that specialize in Sunbeams. They are:

http://www.rootes.com/

http://www.classicsunbeam.com/

There are also several Alpine owners across the nation that have collected parts over the years and can help you if you ever need them. Ebay is another source if you don't mind that bidding process. I would suggest to look at the two I mentioned and if they do not have what you need then come back here and post under the "wanted" section what part you are in need of.

We are glad to have you on board with us as an owner.

Cheers,

AlpineII

Donation Time
Jon,
Welcome to the fun. :DThere are some suppliers both here in North America as well as overseas that reproduce many parts. Don't over look those overseas suppliers as sometimes they may be the only one who has that part you need.

Rootes Post Vintage Spares in Holland can provide some re-produced hard to find parts: http://www.rootesparts.com/

Alpine West Midlands in the UK is another good supplier:
http://www.sunbeam-alpine.co.uk/

And as already mentioned, this is a great community when you need help with you Alpine of any kind, parts or advice and guidance.

agmason

Donation Time
"I went to the local auto parts store and the guy behind the counter practically laughed at me."

Going to any auto parts store for Sunbeam parts is a waste of time. The last time I went the guy behind the counter told his co-worker in all seriousness that Sunbeam was a crazy company who built cars at one time along with toasters. I didn't bother to correct him and just left the store. Ebay is a good source but can be very expensive as bidders bid up some parts to crazy $$$$$.

Jon'67Alpine

Donation Time
Thank you all for your input thus far. I'm starting to make some progress and have found a few parts. I need to first get the car road worthy(brakes etc) so I can get it home. It is taking up room in a mechanics garage 3 hrs from my home. Once I get it here, I will have a bit more time to tinker and finish the resto.

Thanks again and keep the info coming! :)

Jon

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
Parts

Welcome to the world of Sunbeam's Jon.
Don't forget Craigslist as well as all the other places, and remember Invasion XI is in your home state 2011 I am sure they will have parts table, so check with all who will be attending
Good luck
Stephen

jwilsman

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm really wanting an Alpine but finding parts scare me. I have 2 other cars, MGB GT, Karmann Ghia. Both are easy to find parts for. I see there are a couple places listed. When looking at a car what are things I should be concerned about and parts availabilty.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
There are 2 businesses stateside that specialize in new quality Sunbeam parts: Classic Sunbeam in New York and Sunbeam Specialties in Cali. Both offer a plethora of new interior, trim, weatherstripping, driveline, etc. and have online catalogs to check out what they have.

Then there are also a couple of guys who have pretty vast inventories of quality used spares that are not being reproduced. New seat upholstery is available, but the frames aren't. Some hardtop parts are being reproduced, but none of the latches, trims, etc. are. It's these guys who can set you up with the stuff CS and SS can't.

Virtually everything for an Alpine is available, but you gotta know who to contact. You're already at the right place.

Asm109

Donation Time
Best or worst depends on what YOU want.
First decision: Do you like the looks of the fins? If so Series 1-3.
Series 5 comes with the largest motor but also a whole bunch of cost cutting measures, Like square corners on doors, hood and boot lid.
Also the soft top cover is a vinyl cover. Earlier cars had very nice looking folding metal covers.

I don't like the fins, Like the metal covers and round corners. So my fav is Series IV. Gauges are also have red needles and large fonts. So the dash looks the best to me as well.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
One great place for parts is to attend our next Invasion in Columbia, SC this April 5+6.
We always have a big swap meet. It has doubled in size since two years ago. And we will have several Free Tables where many good parts are free!