• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Battery 'positive' cable

scotdunc

Donation Time
Hello all,

Whilst doing a bit of maintenance .... I noticed alot of the dreaded 'green' gunk around the battery terminal and end of the cable. So I thought I'd cut it back a couple of inches and re-fit. However, I dont seem to have enough slack to bring the cable further into the battery box area .... so thoughts turned to changing the entire cable, but can someone tell me what the cable length is from solenoid to battery positive pole!!!
I haven't been underneath to check, but Im guessing it is one complete cable, with no joins? If so its one hell of a long cable.

Toot toot all

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi, Scott:

It is one piece, as I replaced mine as well; I took a rough and dirty measurement and went down to NAPA and bought 2 feet longer that my measurement, just to be sure I had enough. I am pretty sure, I bought 12 feet. A little pricey, but I thought that the cable had been there for better than 40 years, so I figured it was due.:)

65beam

Donation Time
cable

it takes awhile to change it out. there is a way to extend the cable. there are clips on the body above the rear end housing. I have pulled the cable out of the last clip and been able to make it reach. the cable makes a turn near the battery box and into the box. the cable does not lay under the car except in this area. it passes thru a hole in the x frame area and into the interior of the car. it runs along the sill in a channel behind the cardboard that sets under the carpet. it then comes out from behind the kick panel area and runs thru a hole in the fire wall to the solenoid.

inline_eric

Donation Time
I have an original lucas pos cable that was removed from my 1967 and I just measured it to be very close to 9 feet 7 inches...give or take an inch because it was hard to keep straight...I even used some string and came up with 9'7"..so i would say ten feet would be plenty...hope this helps

scotdunc

Donation Time
Thanks for your input guys. It seems incredible that you need 10' of cable, not that Im doubting it.
I think I'll have a go at 'releasing' a bit of slack at the battery box, maybe by bypassing the last body clip.

Toot toot all

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
And related to battery cables....

On the hole in the side of the battery box where the cable comes through - should there be a seal or a piece of grommet strip there?

It seems like the metal edge and the live cable shouldn't be rubbing against each other.

Cheers,
Paul.

inline_eric

Donation Time
Paul,
I just took a look and yes there is a grommet...I snapped a very bad and blurry picture for you...hope this helps...
Eric

Attachments

• cablegrom2.jpg
    cablegrom2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 53

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Eric,
Something to add to my next order from Rick McLeod. I'll put a bit of grommet strip on for now to stop the wear.

Cheers,
Paul.