• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

battery operated clock

O

odl21

my repro clock from sunbeam specialties doesn't work and since i routinely use a battery cut-off switch when i leave the car, it would always be wrong even if it did work.

i'm planning on putting the mechanism from a cheapo chinese clock powered by an AA battery behind the current face and using the current clock hands.

has anyone done this or know a good place to get a clock mechanism that would fit?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
clock

my repro clock from sunbeam specialties doesn't work and since i routinely use a battery cut-off switch when i leave the car, it would always be wrong even if it did work.

i'm planning on putting the mechanism from a cheapo chinese clock powered by an AA battery behind the current face and using the current clock hands.

has anyone done this or know a good place to get a clock mechanism that would fit?

If you can find it the vdo clock from a Capri, early model, fits the dash hole perfectly and is reliable. If you use the cut-off switch you know the results.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Great job, Odl. I looked at the pmclocks website and I assume you bought the model M161 , is that right? What was the price? And it looks like you mounted the dial using original screws into new holes drilled into the replacement movement front. Right? And you mounted the replacement movement using double sticky foam. I assume you were unable to use the original hands because they did not fit the shafts of the replacement movement.

Neat solution. Think I might do the same. Thanks ,

Tom H

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Odl, from your pictures it looks like your next project will be your speedo. Or did you take the picture while running down the road at 30 MPH !! Looking fwd to reading about how you fix THAT!

Tom H

napa 1

Donation Time
That's a great solution to the clock problem. Would you mind posting a quick description of the procedure you used?

thanks.

atallamcs

Donation Time
clock

The clock from SS is a quartz mechanism an should work well--mine does. I have a kill switch, you just wire around that so the clock remains running.

Bill Atalla

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Odl, from your pictures it looks like your next project will be your speedo. Or did you take the picture while running down the road at 30 MPH !! Looking fwd to reading about how you fix THAT!

Tom H

Tom, if you look at the reflection in the dash, he has both hands on the steering wheel, passenger must have taken photo at 30 mph.

O

odl21

yeah, for reasons i won't go into, i was going down the road at 30 when that was taken.

it was indeed the M161 - i paid $8.95 including shipping and about $4 for two batteries (one to use, one spare). the old hands didn't fit. it came with 2" antique style hands which i trimed and bent up slightly to clear the two screws in the clock face. at some point i'll paint them red.

picture 2 shows the face screwed onto the new mechanism. i drilled two small pilot holes into the plastic and the original screws went in at an angle. this shot also shows the housing with the shortened white plastic pipe in there and the second hole drilled in the back. you put a flathead screw driver through this hole to adjust the time once the clock is assembled. you can even to this with it still in the dash. unfortunately changing the battery would require you to open up the clock again.

picture 3 shows the back of the unit with some double sided padded tape just to hold it in place against the shortened plasic pipe lining the housing and stop it rattleing.

4 and 5 show it fully assembled and picture 6 shows it in the dash.

the only problem with this arangement is that the large clock uning blocks most of the back light and with the panel light on at night there isn't really enough light reaching the face to read the time.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, Odl. Do you think that using a clear plastic tube instead of the white plastic might allow significantly more light to the front? Or maybe just cut several notches in the front edge of the white pipe, making it like a castle, cutting away, say 70 % of the tube edge. Regardless, your solution looks great. I will do this and try some method to allow more light. Thanks again.

Tom H

64beam

Donation Time
The age old clock issue; they never work properly! A local club member had solved the issue by finding a suitable battery operated clock and replacing the face with a copy of the original factory face. It looked quite good, but was a bit of time consuming.

Regards, Robin.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Clock Replacement

I agree, it looks great. I tried to replace the inner workings of a clock I had but apparently did the reassembly wrong because I can't keep the hands on now. What's the trick to removing and reinstalling them?:confused: