• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Battery not charging

S

sunalp60

My battery was dead today after setting a week. It doesn't seem to be charging. I put a meter on the battery and it reads 12 volts. After I start it, it still reads 12 volts. My dash gauge is on 0 and doesn't move at a fast idle.
I was going to start checking my voltage regulator (Lucas RB340) but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the cover! It looks like it has black rivets holding it together. My manual shows the cover removed but how to do it! Maybe it has just been a long week and my brain is resting.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,
Tim

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Tim,
The "rivets" are spread by a plastic "pin" that runs inside them.
You can use a narrow drift or screwdriver to push the pin out, so that the rivet contracts. Be careful, the "pins" will probably fall out of the back, and you'll need to catch them. I lost mine last time I took the cover off :eek: but I was able to use pins from suitably sized pop rivets instead.
Good luck
cheers
Dave